IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Argentia quiz

These boards have been mighty quiet so I thought I'd throw out an Argentia quiz:

1. Who sang Aunt Martha's Sheep?
2. What was the name of the island to the right as you were almost to the
Navfac?
3. What deck in the hi-rise housed Navfac enlisted and what deck was
officer country?
4. If drunk Navfac sailors rode the elevator to officers country how long
was the elevator door open while they sprayed beer all over?
5. If drunk Navfac sailors took bowling balls to their deck and rolled
them down the passageway could you hear them down on the first deck?
6. If a sailor and his family arrived at Arg 2 days before Christmas and
had no household goods or Xmas decorations, and he went out on town and
cut down a live, decorated evergreen from somebody's yard, and brought
it back to his assigned quarters and leaned it against the wall, could
he get in trouble? (RIP, Ben)
7. What were the names of the Navfac compound dogs?
8. How many fingers did Monica have?

Last question is worth triple credit!

Re: Argentia quiz

Hilarious Randy. I suspect there are only a few that know the correct answers.

I can add one:

How much trouble could a sailor get into if he sold a fellow sailor a car with no transmission and then showed up the next day with a transmission?

and

What was the persons name in Freshwater that owned the 56 chevy that was found on the side of the road missing a transmission?

I bet other folks can add to the list also

J

Hi Randy,

I was intrigued by your post, but I guess I fail. The only one that I can answer is which level was Officer Country. I believe the answer is 10. The base (with the NAVFAC as a tenant command) was shutting down in June of 1970 when I left. The BOQ became an everything building, the Atlantic Charter Barracks closed, and Tommy's (Thomas Griffin) BOQ Bar shut down, along with the Officers Closed Mess (which became the new Mess Hall). I (with the few other officers who were left) were up on the 10th floor. This is not an entirely "sad" post. It was good to see some new life move into the building and clean up and paint their new quarters. But I must admit it was a sad day when Tommy's BOQ Bar had an Irish Wake to honor its closing, complete with a life size cake in the likeness of Tommy. Tommy's bar had a sign which read "He who enters covered her shall buy for all a round of cheer". I must admit that I did so on a few occasions near the end - to commemorate the demise of the bar.

It's good to see a few pictures of "George" on FaceBook. In the 1968-1970 timeframe he was mostly working at the O-Club. Tommy, as I understand, has passed over the bar.

Bob Hickman - former OWO/CDO of Research Division 1, including some famous Alumni - Frank Harwood, Lou Haskins, and Phil Blauvelt - the "A" team.

Randy,

I know for a fact that Dick Nolan sang Aunt Martha's Sheep and that Monica had 3 fingers. New question - When Gene Howard smacked a rowdy drunk outside of Bells, how many steps did the guy tumble down before landing on Water Street?

O.B. Corning (64-66 & 74-78)

Another add-on about Arg:

What was the name of the man who ran the Hobby Shop Garage in the 60s and early 70s?

Good post Randy and here is another for your list.

Over the bar in the "Pink Lady in Jerseyside was a sign that stated "American sailors stationed in Argentia not welcomed". Who were welcomed?

And the answer was All others meaning basically, if you were just visiting Nan and Pop, it was ok to come in. You were not a threat to the local folks.

Frog

P.S. For a time after I got out, I was on a drill rig anchored in the Bay not far from "Mae West" and a couple of the guys aboard made a lobster pot and hung it over the side. Often wondered what the Mounties would have done if they discovered the illegal fishing. Could have been something like running booze maybe but instead of confiscating a car, they might have ended up with an oil rig. Take care

Some great answers and added stories! I'd say O.B. is in the lead with his knowing Dick Nolan and that Monica, a frequent visitor to the club, had 3 fingers on one hand. I think Bones was one of the compound dogs and I cannot remember the other. I love stories of stuff sailors used to do :)

The other dog was Greaser.
The island was Red Island.
7th deck housed enlisted and 10th was the officers.

I never got in trouble so couldn't answer some of the ones about those....

What was the name of the civilian who worked in the A/C spaces?

Sandy - You talking about Dick Power ?

Your other point was you never got in trouble. Did I read that right

Give me a call the next time you are in St. John's Frog

Yes it was Dick Powers he also fit into the lobster mafia and for a small donation could provide fresh lobster just about any time, he also was one of the best moose hunting guides in the area.

Visits: