Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Argentia quiz

Randy,

I know for a fact that Dick Nolan sang Aunt Martha's Sheep and that Monica had 3 fingers. New question - When Gene Howard smacked a rowdy drunk outside of Bells, how many steps did the guy tumble down before landing on Water Street?

O.B. Corning (64-66 & 74-78)

Another add-on about Arg:

What was the name of the man who ran the Hobby Shop Garage in the 60s and early 70s?

Good post Randy and here is another for your list.

Over the bar in the "Pink Lady in Jerseyside was a sign that stated "American sailors stationed in Argentia not welcomed". Who were welcomed?

And the answer was All others meaning basically, if you were just visiting Nan and Pop, it was ok to come in. You were not a threat to the local folks.

Frog

P.S. For a time after I got out, I was on a drill rig anchored in the Bay not far from "Mae West" and a couple of the guys aboard made a lobster pot and hung it over the side. Often wondered what the Mounties would have done if they discovered the illegal fishing. Could have been something like running booze maybe but instead of confiscating a car, they might have ended up with an oil rig. Take care

Some great answers and added stories! I'd say O.B. is in the lead with his knowing Dick Nolan and that Monica, a frequent visitor to the club, had 3 fingers on one hand. I think Bones was one of the compound dogs and I cannot remember the other. I love stories of stuff sailors used to do :)

The other dog was Greaser.
The island was Red Island.
7th deck housed enlisted and 10th was the officers.

I never got in trouble so couldn't answer some of the ones about those....

What was the name of the civilian who worked in the A/C spaces?

Sandy - You talking about Dick Power ?

Your other point was you never got in trouble. Did I read that right

Give me a call the next time you are in St. John's Frog

Yes it was Dick Powers he also fit into the lobster mafia and for a small donation could provide fresh lobster just about any time, he also was one of the best moose hunting guides in the area.

Visits: