IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cliff and japan

webmaster, I need your assistance please....I know some of you know clif Clifton...at least some of us that go wayyyyy back (well, im not sure how wayyyy that really is anymore compared to everyone) ( I think he retired as a Lt Cdr but not sure...he worked at NOSC for awhile as a civil servant but he had some heart issues and passed)....I was recently given some photos of a sail boat that clif had shipped to site and some of us that were stationed there were lucky enough to use it....the **** jpeg files are about 3meg, too large to upload...tried to downsize them in paint but didn't work... ill get them posted if I can figure it out or if the web master can help....smokey, I know you knew cliff...or at least of him..he was a good friend of Johns (big bird).

Re: cliff and japan

Hey Jack,

I have sent you an email in regards to this.

Jack,
Yes, I knew Cliff. He was the OPS Officer at COSP when I was with COSP staff on Treasure Island CA in the 1967 time frame. He was a good System man - well liked by all.
He suffered a bad stroke which affected his speech and movement (which broke his heart). Cliff made a short comeback but lost the battle. He was too young to have that happen. Ed

I met Cliff at NOSC in 1981. He was another of those system characters and I liked him very much. I routinely kicked his ass on the crib board but he never quit coming back. He died way too young but I suspect he never saw the inside of a gym so he probably wouldn't complain.

Nick

Yes to all...I should have mentioned that Cliff had this boat delivered on site at COMNAVFORJAPAN...somehow he got it out of special services in Yokosuka but Im sure Cliff was the only one that knew all the "details" of how all that took place..I don't have any of Cliff sailing it but he taught me how to handle it. After he left several of us were out in it (not the trip in the photos)and managed to turn it over in pretty rough water. A fishing boat finally saw us and towed us back in with the boat about a foot under the surface of the water. It took some work getting it out that day! Plus we made the news which wasn't a good thing....

While stationed at COSP in 1977, LCDR Clifton (Cliff) invited JB and I out for a Sunday sail around Ford Island. Perfect day for it. Cliff spotted a sailing rival from the Marina and had us look sharp as we trimmed sail. We were able to overtake the other, pass close by, and “knock the wind out of his sails.” The rival raised a fist then a toast, Cliff was ear-to-ear. A real sailing education for this desert rat kid from Arizona and a great memory. RIP Cliff.

Good story Wesley....I can exactly see Cliff in your description.

I was in his San Diego garage one time. His beloved "Rover" was completely disassembled and being rebuilt piece by piece. Wonder if he ever finished the restoration?

Nick

This brought back memories from the way back machine! COSP Treasure Island (67/68): LT Clifton tossing me the command's .45 to take on the burn run; "requesting" a pot of coffee on a Saturday morning, then telling me to bring 2 cups with coffee and adding "Irish Whiskey" from a bottle in his desk to both cups and saying "enjoy". Ford Island (69): Babysitting for Clif and his first wife. Good memories.

Visits: