Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Death of Commander Jim Brady

I only knew the Commander by reputation but am no less sorry to hear of his passing. Our condolences to the Brady family.

John and Pat Ellis

I had about 9 years under my belt when meeting the Kef CO, CDR Jim Brady. He was truly the first Commanding Officer that I distinctly remember, and who made a memorable difference in my "operational life" during my 1st Kef tour. I remember JO's nervous as hell before the morning brief; he knew what he was talking about, made you think, and expected you better know what YOU were talking about, or you could get burned…right there at the brief. Tough stuff, but consistent, as he elevated the expectations of everyone around him. I know he elevated mine.

CDR Brady was an avid sports nut…Auburn was his team. Wild Turkey was his beverage. During one intramural football season, I was the coach due to recovering from a broken ankle playing softball. So here I am on the sidelines in a cast and crutches, and CDR Brady following me asking "what play was I gonna' call", "are you going to kick on 4th down", "why did you call that play?". On one particular 4th down, we went for it vice punting; CDR Brady came up to me before the play, "NO NO, PUNT THE BALL" - well, we didn't; got a first down - and CDR Brady walked up next to me with a twinkle in his eye and said, "Nice call, Bear" I somehow had earned the nickname "Bear", I'm sure due to his Auburn-Alabama history.

He was the first CO to really have earned my respect; I enjoyed seeing him at every reunion. I will dam well miss him.

AB

Sorry to hear this news, Randy. As you know, CDR "Diamond" Jim Brady was my first Commanding Officer as a newly minted LDO Ensign (1983-84). I have fond memories of that tour and I learned much of what would help guide me through the remainder of my career. May he rest in peace.

A truly fine man and excellent C.O. He will be missed. May his soul rest in eternal peace.

Very sad to hear of CDR Brady's passing...a man to respect. Godspeed Captain.

Just as a follow up, I got back Sunday from Jim Brady's funeral on Lopez Island, Washington. Dean Schaaf, Jim's XO at Kef, was also there. Funerals are not easy events but seeing someone buried in Navy dress blues certainly brings to the forefront that person's love of country and service to us all.
God bless Jim and each of you who provided that same dedication.

Visits: