IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fred Schwanz Update

Had a nice, long conversation with my old, dear pal Fred tonight. For those of you with fading memories, he is the man that made SURTASS a reality.

True story follows....I had the daywatch at Dam Neck in about '84. Fred finally shows up about noon and announces that Stalwart was transmitting and wants to know why we didn't have the writers phased up.

We got to that toot sweet and were treated to that horrible display that I busted Fred's ass over for the next few years.

The displays ultimately got pretty much fixed and the system worked like a champ. We had some great successes.

In my opinion, without Fred driving that project, it never would've achieved the successes it did....and he got **** little recognition for all he did.

Fred's health is poor these days. He lost his lower left leg to circulation problems and it sounded like he was on oxygen as we talked.

Those of you who have any desire to shoot the breeze with Freddie should probably choose to do so sooner rather than later. Feel free to contact me with his deets.

I'm at 410-610-2417.

Nick

Re: Fred Schwanz Update

Fred has always been a dear friend of mine. We go back a long way. I know he has been laid-up for a long time. His many friends always ask about him when we get together. Nick is right again about Fred and SURTASS. Fred was Witter's right hand man. Ed

Its always the toughest to read or hear about the good guys having a hard time health wise and Fred is truly one of the good guys. Knowing Fred, he would simply reply "just doing my job" when any accolades such as Nicks were directed his way. He has always been a good friend and Pat and I wish he and Linda the very best as they weather these health issues.

John and Pat

Really sorry to hear about Fred. We were stationed together in Barbados in the late '60's. He is truly one of the good guys even though he was on the wrong side of the rate. He was a hell of an analyst and would probably have made a hell of a maintainer. Not to mention a hell of a person.

Sorry to hear Fred is doing poorly. I was with Fred at Key West in the 70s.
I was planning to attend the 2019 re-union (65th) with hopes of seeing a few people before we are all gone, and I was hoping Fred might be there. Please say hello to Fred for me.

Visits: