Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fund Raising for 65th Reunion

Hello friends,

With the 65th scheduled less than a year from now, I'm looking to raise funds to defray the cost to association members.

My first thought is T-shirt and ball cap sales but I'm open to just about anything.

If you have experience making shirts and ball caps and want to get involved, I'd like to talk to you.

If you know of a company who'd work with us to establish a mutually beneficial arrangement, I'd like to talk to you.

If you have an idea to raise funds, and you want to help, I'd like to talk to you.

While I appreciate all ideas, please recognize that I can't do it all. Please consider getting involved....either with fund raising or with various things Jim D needs help with.

Thanks,

Nick

Re: Fund Raising for 65th Reunion

Nick,
Fund raiser suggestion "if no better way is presented" - (or we can't raise enough etc.).

Let us all donate $1.00 for each year that we have been associated with IUSS (and "only" $1.00 per year so it doesn't become a donation amount contest).

We could start a post that people could reply to with their number of years in IUSS and the amount being sent to Jim etc. As an example, I would reply: Ed Smock 65 years, $65.00.

This would also result in a current listing here on the web site of our old friends and shipmates. Might even renew some old friendships. And, it would be a "recognition" of service list. Ed Smock

Good idea Ed. Between the two of us there is $112 in the kitty already!
Chuck

UPDATE: Fund Raising for 65th Reunion

Thank you, Nick. Donations would be helpful in keeping ticket prices reasonable for the event. The IUSS 65th Committee currently has $620.00 in leftover funds from the IUSS 60th Reunion in 2014 but we just put $500.00 down to hold the hotel and ballroom.

Member donations from that event topped $1,500.00 and were used to pay for those LOFARGRAM coasters, programs, centerpieces, dinners for the NOPF Active Duty Honor Guard, our Guest Speaker and guest, 2 bartenders/1 cashier, appetizers at Happy Hour and Reception and other miscellaneous costs.

In the next month or two our Committee will meet for the first time. At that meeting we will discuss fundraising and publish a plan. I like your plan - I guess Kathy and I owe $63.00 right off the bat!
Chuck and Smokie - see above! (<:

In the meantime, anyone wishing to make a donation to the IUSS 65th Anniversary/Reunion Committee can forward via Paypal at Jim_Donovan53@yahoo.com or mail a check to 664 Rosaer Lane, Virginia Beach, VA 23464. Make check payable to IUSS 65th Committee and note same if sending via PayPal.

Best regards,

Jim Donovan

Re: UPDATE: Fund Raising for 65th Reunion

Note to all: Regarding mailed donations by check - please make the check out to me an not to the committee. NFCU refuses to accept those until we set up a separate account for the Committee. Won't do that until we have a Treasurer. In the meantime, I'm holding the funds in a separate savings account. Just annotate "IUSS 65th Donation" on the front of the check at bottom.

- Jim

P.S. PayPal is easier.

Count me in for $50. And if Smokey will raise his to $100 (he's been in at least a 100 yrs), so will I.

Ellis

PS: Nick, this a much easier way than ball caps!!!

Hey Gang,

My challenge in the earlier post was in bad taste and I withdraw it. Smokey had offered a fundraising method specifically to avoid bidding contests and I didn't read his post closely enough,

I have apologized to Smokey but I stand by my earlier pledge of $50.

John

I'm in for 43 bucks (1971-2014).

Nick,

Make the check out to ???? and mail it when and where???

J

John refer to JD post on 10/18 for info on check. Sadly, my first 10 years were as a Storekeeper but I'm including that as well in my donation of $55 to 2019 since I intend to cheat death at least that long!!

Thanks, guys. I've already collected more than $1,000.00 with more pledges coming in.

- Jim

I'll check with my HS friend. He owns an embroidery business and did all the shirts, hats, and jackets for my rowing adventure back in the late 90's and early 2000-01. He made sure the shirts were top quality stitching and the screen printing was excellent. Helped us raise a good chunk of money for the race.

Please send me any design work you have in mind. I'll contact Joe in Missouri and see what he can offer in the way of embroidered polo shirts and screen printed shirts. Any ideas or logos already designed would be helpful. I'm most proficient in Corel 8-13 software and I can probably convert Adobe Illustrator files with little problem. I'll get on it as soon as I get some material to work with.

Looking forward to doing something for the group.

Zig

John, Thank you for the information. I'll bring this up to the committee when we meet in January. We've done t-shirts, etc. with embroidery in the past but usually leave that effort to the active duty folks at NOPF Dam Neck or CUS for MWR fundraising. The materials already exist. At the last reunion a former OT, Mark Kohlman printed up some "Oyster Trainer" t-shirts, IUSS neck ties and other mementos and set up a table at the event(s).

A former OT, Mari Torres-Sandlin is selling IUSS Trident Pendants on Facebook to raise funds for the IUSS 65th. She donates 25% of her sales to the Committee. Mari has already collected $400.00 for us in just 2 weeks.

- Jim

Visits: