Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passing of Commodore Jerry Fogle - July 2018

I first met Jerry when I was a VP 31 Instructor at Moffett Field. He was the loudest in class and led the happy hour fun at the BOQ bar with his potato cannon. He left for Kef and I got orders to Brawdy, and Jerry showed up as XO there after Kef. I was a watch officer and then Admin Officer becoming his right hand man and partner in crime.
I returned to VP at Moffett and at the end of my second sea tour and selection to Commander I got in touch with Jerry who was now COSP chief of staff. With his recommendation I was picked to go th Navfac Coos Head as CO, and he placed most of the other CO jobs in the Pacific with the friends he made throughout his career. He was a mentor to many, officers and enlisted. He got Robin Hood assigned to Coos Head for his first conus tour in 15 years, and took over the ops, best move ever.
Jerry and I kept in touch when he was in Norfolk and I was on the Joint Staff in D.C. . I stayed with him when we went to a reunion in 1988. Jerry was the best friend, shipmate, or CO anyone could have. The most honest straight shooter and loyal beyond all else.
He is someone I think about often, one of the truly great people you get to meet during your Navy career and your life. He will be missed.

Capt Fogle, The Bullfrog, was my first CO and my favorite. He was a no-nonsense kind of guy who could communicate his desires with just a look. Kef in '75 was a great place and he made it so. I was a bit of a hell-raiser and before he left Kef he said he would find me and kick my ass if I didn't straighten out. I thanked him for that years later when I saw him at COSL. He was a very big influence on my career and I'm sure he's straightening things out wherever he is today. He couldn't have done it all without Sharon and, later, Maureen who were so supportive throughout his service. I believe the Navy lost a great leader and would do well to have more like him today.

I just saw this, he was my XO at Brawdy and my CSO at NOPF Ford Island. He was one of the best officers I ever worked for.

Visits: