IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Remarkable Survival of the USS CHOPPER (SS 342) from a Depth Excursion to 1000 Feet

Bruce, text was readable. I bet that was the longest 2 min period in that crews history!
Really makes you see how fast things can go bad.
I wonder if they pulled into Key West after this occurred ?

Re: The Remarkable Survival of the USS CHOPPER (SS 342) Reply to Stephen Lechowicz

Stephen:

Assume CHOPPER returned to Key West; don't know that for a fact.

Several years after the event, I discussed it with CDR Don Forbes,
the CO at the time.

He told me the stern went to 1020 feet which does not agree with what
appears to be an accurate summary of what happened.

The event also appeared to have been the end of Forbes career.

Bottom line: the complexity of what actually happened shows just how
impossible it would have been to reconstruct why it happened had the
crew not survived.

i doubt even acoustics would have solved this one.

The term "starving dog" was used to describe the appearance of the
pressure-hull between frames.

Bruce

Re: The Remarkable Survival of the USS CHOPPER (SS 342) Reply to Stephen Lechowicz

I was stationed at COSL with OT2 Steve Stevens in the early 70's. He was an ex diesel boat guy and based on specific details he gave us I think he was on Chopper during this episode. Anybody know whatever happened with Steve?

I wish I knew. I was stationed with Steve at COSL. What a character! I could regale you with plenty of sea stories about Steve but probably couldn’t share them in polite company!

Rick, I always thought Steve might have suffered from oxygen deprivation while on diesel boats...crazy indeed! Sent you an email.

My email addy was wrong, never got your email

Rick, just tried again.

Re: The Remarkable Survival of the USS CHOPPER (SS 342) from a Depth Excursion to 1000 Feet

Passing through...was going to read the story, but link does not seem to work.

Visits: