Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Think you know your naval (not merely US) trivia? #3

Sadly, they were both lost at sea in December 1944 due to the same typhoon in the pacific.

I must confess this was pretty ironic. I had a bit of an unfair advantage. I have always had a knack for recalling certain things from my past. One just fact or group of facts can be attributed to my first supervisor at my first NAVFAC (Bermuda 1970). STG2 William R. Sharon was a training nut. He threw quiz after quiz and drill tape after drill tape at me. I was a proverbial sponge. So much so that I think I knew every cut in the pub library. In fact, it was in these same early days of my first ORI as a reader on 4321 that Two of my contacts were exact duplicates of a Juliette and the Dolphin AGS 555. I also remember this very question from a pub library quiz. Also, for whatever reason, I still remember my Grandmother's phone number who passed away in 1963. I think the only person that visits this sight that may remember Bill Sharon is George Widenor who was a Chief at the FAC at the same time. No way to delete useless information from our minds.

Jack, most of us got a shadow box when we retired. Guess you opted for the pub locker. Hated those CDO Quiz's.

I loved those pub lib quizzes...the grams killed me, but the minutiae..oh joy!

I was just talking about this today on board Battleship WISCONSIN (BB-64). Typhoon Cobra, also known as Halsey's Typhoon is part of our Command and Control presentation on the Navigation Bridge. In the Chart House I usually point out our original Clinometers and relate the December 1944 tragedy. Spence, Hull, and Monaghan capsized and approximately 800 sailors were lost after the destroyers breached 45 degree rolls in the massive waves. I believe there is a book about Halsey's Typhoon.

I'm glad to see the responses to #3. John, you'r right about the inability to delete old "useless" info from our minds. Over 50 years after I learned what a fundamental frequency was, I STILL catch myself looking for repetition patterns in the carpet at my Dr's office, upholstery at restaurants, etc.

Capt D - I remember reading about Cobra and its aftermath in Morison's " History of United States Naval Operations in World War II." I was a kid at the time, and thought the Navy was all fun, snazzy uniforms, and fun liberty ports. Made me realize things.

they were sold to the Mexican navy
all three capsized during Typhoon "Cobra"
a single kamikaze strike destroyed them all at Okinawa
all three were destroyed in a refueling accident

As we know, the correct answer was the typhoon option.

On 17-18 December 1944, Halsey's Task Force 38 of approximately 86 ships was steaming east of the Philippine Islands. High speed operations during the preceding days made refueling the ships - particularly the destroyers - an urgent necessity. But TF 38 was overtaken by a typhoon (named "Cobra" by the Navy). Sea conditions made refueling impossible. The barometer dropped to 26.8, sustained winds of 75 knots and gusts to 120 knots wreaked havoc. Many ships were damaged, and some were unable to maintain headway. Ever increasing rolls ultimately took their toll. Hull, Monaghan, and Spence all capsized and sunk. Of the 866 men on the three ships, 775 were lost. Over the next few days, 91 survivors from the three vessels were rescued. USS Tabberer (DE-418) - herself damaged in the storm - rescued 55 of them.

Since answers and general comments are still coming, so is another question. :nerd_face:

Visits: