Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Think you know your naval (not merely US) trivia? #5

Still going with the battle of Tsushima Straights but Jutland would be my second guess

Frog

Re: Think you know your naval (not merely US) trivia? #5

John - another one I had not even considered. My fast look at the summery table on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima

shows 21 Russian ships lost and NO IJN ships (only 3 torpedo boats). You made me smarter (doesn't happen much these days). Thank you.

Jack

Re: Think you know your naval (not merely US) trivia? #5 Answer

"As stated, no multiple choice freebies today. This one is pure knowledge; keep an open mind and be ready to think outside the box.

What 20th-century event marked the greatest loss of vessels in a single day since the advent of steel ships?"
Some fine answers, gents. I originally thought of most of these too, when I first ran "afoul" of this question. Listed below are the four answer choices that appear on the original quiz. Look them over and see if you wish to reevaluate the conta..err...I mean...the answer.

Battle of Jutland, 1916
German High Seas Fleet scuttling at Scapa Flow, 1919
Marianas "Turkey Shoot", 1944
Pearl Harbor attack, 1941
*Spoiler alert - Answer Follows
Between November 1918 and January 1919, 74 ships of the German High Seas fleet were interned at the British anchorage at Scapa Flow Scotland. While the victorious allies debated final disposition (the French and Italians each wanted 25% of the fleet as war prizes; Britain wanted all the vessels destroyed), demoralized German sailors languished in near prison-like conditions: forbidden time ashore; forbidden to visit other German vessels; censored mail; monotonous diets. Fearing that the Allies would arbitrarily seize the fleet, the scuttling plan was devised by senior officers, and German crews discreetly prepared the ships for sinking. After six months of internment, 21 June 1919 saw the scuttling of 52 warships; 22 others either remained afloat or were beached.

Beginning in the 1920s, 45 of the sunken ships were salvaged and scrapped. Seven vessels remain as protected wrecks in Scapa Flow, and are occasionally visited by divers.

Jutland cost 25 ships and about 9400 lives; The Battle of the Philippine Sea (aka "Marianas Turkey Shoot") cost six Japanese ships and about 600 aircraft - US losses were 123 planes. Although several ships were "sunk" at Pearl Harbor, all except Arizona and Utah were refloated. Nearly all these ships saw action during the war. Oklahoma was not repaired, and sunk after the war while being towed to the scrappers.

Was this a fair & honest question? Or is it what we used to call a "4.0 Buster"? Only 41% of the non-OT quizzees ("testees" sounds a bit....invasive) got it right.

Re: Think you know your naval (not merely US) trivia? #5 Answer

As you said, this question was a true 4.0 ball buster. Some where in the past I had heard of this incident but at the time it was a footnote on what else was going on in the world. Can not wait to see what you come up with next. Thanks for a good one

Frog

Visits: