Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 65th Year with the U.S. Navy and Undersea Surveillance

ED, Thank You for your service. You are and have been an inspiration to many of us that were fortunate enough to meet and know you throughout our careers.
Your leadership, willing mentorship and technical expertise are without equal. Best wishes on your continuing journey.

Thank you for getting me started right as a fresh caught Ensign, ST1 Smock in 1963. I remember your CPO initiation. Thank you Master Chief. Ed Dalrymple

Very impressive Ed but I've been in a special program for 65 years, too....it's called LIFE.

Congratulations, my good friend.

Nick

Youngster!!

Hey Mike, I have you beat as "johnny come lately"...but I feel the same as everyone...I met Smokey when he was the COSL Master Chief ( at least in the MEC, Smokey were you command MC?)and I had just transferred in from Japan...he retired a bit after that (which was a drag)...however Smokey and I continued to work together for years on and off (along with big bird)still doing things with and around IUSS, mostly with TRW. Smokey passed wisdom on to me many times..."this pizza and pitcher of beer is for me, what are you having?", "quit drinking those sissy drinks", and, my fav, "I brought and cooked the deer meat, you clean up"...no wait, he cleaned up too...!! congrats Smoke...

Ed:
What a truly wonderful journey we have all had, with you as the main guide. I recently had occasion to dig up one of my many "Smokey" stories, and the recipient fell in love with the character I described. The story was about the first time we met back in Bermuda in September 1971. The story I told was how, within your first 24 hours on Bermuda, you caused a BMCS to be happy he didn't have to give up his nice quarters in the Bermadoo Club building. I may have "hammed" the story up a little, but I enjoyed telling it.

Congratulations - you da man!!!!!

Congratulations Ed! I have 50 years coming up in a few months but now I feel like a boot! A hearty well done to you from many, many admirers.

Ed, Thank you for your 65 years of selfless dedication and commitment to they "System" that we are all so proud to be a part of. Like Nick I am also 65. You've been on watch analyzing LOFARGRAMS for as long as either of us has been alive. Yesterday we briefed the Cold War Museum membership at Vint Hill, VA on the History of SOSUS (and by extension the IUSS). OTCM Ed "Smokie" Smock was mentioned more than once as the System stalwart and longest serving member of our close knit community.

We all look forward to recognizing you and that lifetime of service to the national defense at the 65th Anniversary and Reunion on September 21st.

"The Last Man Standing" - Ed Smock.

- Jim

I was out of town for a few days so am tardy in replying. Celebrating 65 yrs on the job is a milestone that few achieve. If I had to zero in on a single characteristic that sets "Smokey" apart from others, it would probably be consistency. Throughout my 45 yr working career, I valued that trait more than any other. To be able to count on a person's actions and reactions consistently on a daily basis creates a working environment that promotes and enhances team work, as well as individual performance.

I say all the above to say this. Ed "Smokey" Smock is that rare individual that naturally practices consistency on a daily basis and by doing so, simply makes everyone around him better.

It has been my pleasure to know and associate with Smokey over the years. I love him like a brother and I have told him that. Congratulations on your 65th my dear friend. Here's hoping for a great deal more.

Brother John

OK here comes Johnny come lately! Obviously not much left to say as its all been said in the previous posts. You are the epitome of IUSS! It has truly been the highlight of my career to have been able to serve with you and to call you Shipmate! Here's hoping that red line doesn't occur anytime soon. See you in September!

Mike

Visits: