Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cold War Museum Presentation of SOSUS

To clarify my TOPSY comment.

I my presentation I used the term “Tracks On Patrolling Soviet Yankees” as was provided to me a few days before the presentation.

Dick said it was actually “Track Of Patrolling Submarine Yankee”.

Sounds similar but is technically different.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why we depend so much on Warrant Officer Rentner to proof read and edit our annual Cable Newsletters.

- Jim

I still remember the day one popped up, very unexpectedly. Among the calls I took that day at COSL was from the JCS, during which he told me we better be right. It was a sphincter moment but we prevailed. One of the more stressful days I can ever recall...

Correction: Make that "In my presentation….." Just one more reason we depend on Dick's editing skill.
:face_with_rolling_eyes: :nerd_face:
- Jim

To clarify my TOPSY comment.

I my presentation I used the term “Tracks On Patrolling Soviet Yankees” as was provided to me a few days before the presentation.

Dick said it was actually “Track Of Patrolling Submarine Yankee”.

Sounds similar but is technically different.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why we depend so much on Warrant Officer Rentner to proof read and edit our annual Cable Newsletters.

- Jim

I'm not familiar with the TOPSY acronym, probably after my time at East Coast NAVFACs. The Pacific had a (different) acronym as well that I no longer remember. However, while searching for a clue that would remind me I stumbled upon this interesting web site. (See link).

Jerry: YEMPA = Yankee Eastpac Missile Patrol Area

That's it! Thanks, Jack.

Visits: