IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ralph E Rooney

I'm leaving this message in memory of my shipmate, friend, and mentor OTCS Ralph Edward Rooney. I first met the senior chief at Key West Florida where he was the TASS instructor at what was B school. I had completed A school then spent 3 weeks in TASS training. I got sucked into a problem when 2 of the guys in my barracks room were found with weed in their lockers. Thou there was none in my possession because I knew they had the weed i was Court Martialed. The Senior Chief, with zero benifit for himself testified as a character witness for me. I got a verbal warning and a fine. Most importantly I kept my security clearance. Then, I was one of 12 OTs assigned to a ship, the USS Alacrity Ag 520. Much to my surprise Senior Chief Rooney was assigned to the Alacrity 3 months later. He was made department head when Lt Langford, the current TASS department head was made XO of the ship. There was only a crew of 55. The ship was 198 feet long and 40 feet wide. An ex minesweeper she had a wooden hull. Senior Chief Rooney taught me huge life lessons during the time we spent on the Alacrity. I will never forget him. We exchanged emails in the early 2000s I got to hear many many sea stories over the 5 years we were in touch before he passed. RIP OCEAN SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN SENIOR CHIEF RALPH EDWARD ROONEY.

Visits: