IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: In 1968, SOSUS was Looking at the Ocean With One Eye Closed and Probably is Still Doing So

Randy:

I agree with you 100 percent; however, PACSOSUS was told when and generally where to look. Further, the
Bonin Islands signal had been around since the first PAC arrays went operational years earlier. The signal
sometimes went on for weeks.

Bruce

Re: In 1968, SOSUS was Looking at the Ocean With One Eye Closed and Probably is Still Doing So

Bruce, that sheds different light on things, thanks. I did only one PAC tour and never could get used to a line of bearing going from right to left :)

Randy:

One of the reasons George Miller requested Adak - where he was OPS - was to get a
cut-off bearing for the Bonin Island source.

All the West Coast sensor bearings were close to parallel: trans-Pacific

Like the famous Mar 1991 source at 54.1S, 140.5W, the Bonin Island ramping signals
were (are) produced by changing relative water/gas volumes in black-smoker tubes:
giant pipe-organ/coke-bottle effects.

Assume the Bonin Islands are still - acoustically - a going concern. There was a ship
report of boiling water and mud in the area in 1907. Undersea volcanic activity can be
a very long-term business.

Curious if anyone of this site can provide a recent report of continuing activity.

Bruce

Certainly agree that parallel bearings were an issue. Not related to that, one of my best memories of CVB was getting to talk virtually real time with a P3. There was a dynamic and quickly changing event taking place and as I recall our secure
voice got connected to the ASWOC, who were on a secure system with the plane. We would share what was taking place and they immediately passed it on the P3. It was actually pretty effective. (I guess it helped that we had plenty of experience having new Ensigns talking to to planes and submarines through the DAC center, lol).

Randy:

Thank you for a wonderful story.

The date of that event wasn't Jan 1968 (X-5) was it?

Best,

Bruce

That probably would have been fall 1978.
I hesitate to give specifics but it involved a C2.
Lit us up pretty good!

Visits: