IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More for Dick Rentner on Roman Type Signatures

The SKROYYs were three-bladed and were detected while conducting local ops south of Sevastopol Naval Base.

Roman Types I-IV were just SKORYYs at progressively higher speeds.

Ancient memories; now useless facts.

Perhaps you, me and Ed are the only ones who remember.

Re: More for Dick Rentner on Roman Type Signatures

I do remember those Roman Types, but I can't recall much about their signature. In 1957 on GT we concentrated more on tracking the merchant ships and keeping them annotated. That kept the W.O. happy when they took their occasional walk around the beams. Excitement was seeing the rare FM-10 and GM-V16. Real excitement was obtaining the GM 16-338 Pancake, which hardly anyone has heard of. Several years ago I had a long discussion with a retired bubble head who denied the Navy ever had such an engine. (Tang class) Unfortunately this occurred before I had a cell phone to Google it.

Ah, Yes, the Pancake

Four banks of four vertically arranged which resulted in a real crankshaft problem: they broke!

There was a ditty that ran "Harder, Darter, Trigger, Trout, Always In and Never Out." They had to lengthen
the class (13 ft?) and replace the pancake with a mod-speed 8 (?)

Last hull with the Pancake was the Albacore which could not be lengthened without destroying
the hydrodynamic efficiency of the hull form.

I was at Eleuthera when the Albacore came down for trials in the Tongue of the Ocean and
on top of 22. It looked a lot like a nuc when not operating the Pancake.

That was 60 years ago!!!

Re: Ah, Yes, the Pancake

"Harder, Darter, Trigger, Trout, Always In and Never Out." Ha! I remember this ditty from my early days in Bermuda (1973-75). The "old dudes" talked about it (Tribble, Ellis, Cable et al). And I now recall discussions about the "Pancake" arrangement. You guys are amazing in your memory recollections. Lets all have a beer one day.

Visits: