Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 50 years

I'm happy to have shared a portion or your journey with you Randy. In one month, it will be 60 years since I boarded a train for Great Lakes. Where oh where has the time gone? Happy anniversary to you, and happy birthday to the USA!

Wow, Randy. 50 years! It doesn't seem possible. I too was fortunate to have served with you on several occasions and honored to say I took many lessons from you on being a better acoustic analyst and being a good officer. I passed those lessons on to others throughout my career. Your legacy continues to this very day. I hope you and Chris have a nice holiday tomorrow.

VR, Jim

P.S. Come the 31st of this month I'll celebrate my 43rd anniversary of leaving home for Boot Camp. Unlike you and George and others here, I'm pretty much just a "Boot Camp. :relaxed:

CHG/CORRECT
Senior moment. Make that 46 years. 🙄
Thanks, Nick.

Randy:

Sixty years ago, I was at NAVFAC Eleuthera brim full of an amazing
amount of ignorance.

Still remember failing a final test question behind the green doors.

That question was: what is the rpm of a turbine source at 80 Hz?

Based on that experience, when I taught in Norway, I would list the
speeds of machinery in revolutions per second, not RPM. The
"transfer" was direct, no need to convert.

Bruce

Happy Independence Day Randy! I too am at that 50 year Mark of my Navy career. I am honored to have served with you. You are by far the finest man I ever worked with and for throughout my career and then some. I think of you often and what a great professional relationship we had when I served as your operations LCPO. I often think that relationship was the key to my making Master Chief. I shall never forget you coming out of your office and telling me I had been selected. Hoping to talk with you soon. LDO for CNO! My best to you, Chris and the family.

Thank you so much guys. Kinder comments than I deserve from very accomplished people but welcomed nevertheless. It was nice talking to you this morning, John. Having so many common memories is special...almost "wizard" like! 😂

Late to the game...but congrats Randy. Thanks for taking this youngster under your wing in CVB. You, and of course George, taught me so much about how to be a better Sailor, OT and person. Not sure you know how much you mean to me. Congrats

Is that OT3 Price of Centerville? :). Jane, your generous comments are so much appreciated. George made a big difference for many of us; anybody who can be referred to by just a first name and everybody knows who it is speaks volumes. (George was also known as the Crusher by a certain OT2 in Kef. He was scared to death of George and I talked him into walking into an oral board and stating " first of all, nobody in here can intimidate me". I still can't believe he did it!)
I actually do have a good sense of my standing with you because its mutual.
Always has been, always will be. Please give Art my best!

On 23 Feb it was 58 years since I left WI for boot camp. At that time I had no idea what I was going to do in the Navy. I was a farm boy who was suddenly jolted into the 20th century. I was very lost the first two years but with the teaching of many oceanographic types over the years, they helped me become what I was destined to become. I owe a great deal of gratitude to many people who not only taught me what SOSUS was all about but also taught me great lessons about life and leadership. As a teacher, I now still use many of these lessons with my students. Thank you all who helped me through this phase of my life.

Visits: