Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chuck Cable

Hi John,

I just looked at Chuck's Facebook page and I saw several messages of condolence to Linda and her responses.

So, apparently Chuck has passed :(

Sad day.

I will always remember Chuck as my first LPO. He was in charge of day crew when I got to Bermuda so I got to do field day under his tutelage for a month or so.

R.I.P. Chuck. Fair Winds my friend.

I didn't know Chuck well but always knew of his solid reputation. Very sad day for his family and the IUSS community. Rest in peace, Chief!

John, Sadly the news is true. I was both shocked and saddened when I heard. Chuck and I were communicating regularly over the last 2 years. Just recently he mailed Kathy and I an old CDO log book from the NAS Bermuda Navy Annex duty office and a hand painted Delft Blue, Heineken beer stein from Holland that bears the words "Naval Air Station Keflavik".

Chuck was my first Watch Coordinator at NAVFAC Bermuda in 1974.

My thoughts are with Linda Cable and the entire Cable family.

- Jim

Sad Day indeed. Quite a guy. I knew he was in poor health but was hoping he would hang in there for one more reunion.

We were together a lot during our careers. A School, Bermuda, COSL twice. He was a stand up guy that in my opinion was slighted on more than one occasion for recognition and promotion. I'm sure it bothered him but he would not let it affect the work.

A great family man. Took care of "his girls" as he used to say. Linda was his Lighthouse and his two daughters kept him grounded.

Chuck and Dave Williams were joined at the hip back in the day. One of my favorite memories is Chuck and Dave coming to work on Monday morning quoting and laughing at the SNL skits from the prev Saturday night. They must have never missed one.

His New Years parties were a coveted invitation followed by a New Years Day golf outing if we were able. He stunk at golf (Cmon Chuck, you did!!!!) but he gave it all he had as he did with everything he undertook, business and pleasure.

I'll miss you old Buddy. Rest in Peace. You have earned it.

Linda, you have pat and I's deepest sympathy. We wish you and your family the best of everything in your future.

John and Pat Ellis

So very sad! Chuck was a helluva guy. I was stationed with him in Bermuda 1985-86 before he retired and knew him prior when he was on the COSL ORI team with JAD Smith and crew. We kept loosely in touch over the years following. He was a standup guy and dedicated family man. He always put his daughters and wife Linda before all else. Chuck and I spent many fishing trips, Dart league nights and general gatherings at the chief's club. He enjoyed his Tangeray (sp) gin and tonic which amplified his insane sense of humor. My sincere thoughts and prayers to Linda and the girls. RIP shipmate you will be missed.

Chuck may have fallen however, his footprint shows him still standing with his many SOSUS friends - and it always will. Ed Smock

I've been on the site several times weekly for 15 years, reading, watching, keeping in touch with everyone from a far. I'm embarrassed that it took Chuck's death to motivate me to comment. But then again, he meant so much to me when I was in Bermuda (83-86), that I'm not surprised he's kicking me in the rear once again. "Jim, you're a Chief now, do something with it." So much love and respect for what he stood for! Rest in Peace my Friend.

I have been moved and deeply saddened by the news of Chuck’s passing. I have many fond memories of Chuck, and I am not alone. Chuck was one of those people you like and never forget. As a community, our loss is great.

Some of you reading this post will recall the last evening that Chuck was an STGSN. We had the eve watch in Argentia. Most guys in our section were “baggers”, with an understandable limited range on our “liberty cards”. But once the decision was made that we would tack on that new crow at midnight, the phone lines from the T-building buzzed with calls to the ladies at home. One by one, permission was sought and granted, and liberty cards were “stamped”.

Once off watch, our section migrated to the Enlisted Club, and at midnight, Third Class Petty Officer Chuck Cable stood loud and proud. Somehow, we avoided an all-out brawl with some crew members from VP-8, who we appeared to have been needlessly tantalizing.

While I wasn’t around Chuck during his “Chief” years, everything I have heard about him is stellar. Chuck cared deeply about the important things. I am proud to have known him “back in the day”, and proud of the leader he became.

A while back, I received a “gift” from Chuck. Back in the day, unable to take my classified notes with me, I handed some pages down to people still on active duty. Chuck held on to a few pages of those notes for many years, and eventually, they were no longer classified. Knowing I would be “moved” by some particular items, Chuck forwarded them to me. A page from my notes dated 12 JUL 68 is currently on display in my den. Chuck and I were on watch together when that page was created. Every time I look at that relic from our past, some 51 years ago, I think of Chuck – and I always will.

RIP Chuck

George,

Well said, Master Chief.... well said.

VR, Jim

Visits: