Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chuck Cable

I have been moved and deeply saddened by the news of Chuck’s passing. I have many fond memories of Chuck, and I am not alone. Chuck was one of those people you like and never forget. As a community, our loss is great.

Some of you reading this post will recall the last evening that Chuck was an STGSN. We had the eve watch in Argentia. Most guys in our section were “baggers”, with an understandable limited range on our “liberty cards”. But once the decision was made that we would tack on that new crow at midnight, the phone lines from the T-building buzzed with calls to the ladies at home. One by one, permission was sought and granted, and liberty cards were “stamped”.

Once off watch, our section migrated to the Enlisted Club, and at midnight, Third Class Petty Officer Chuck Cable stood loud and proud. Somehow, we avoided an all-out brawl with some crew members from VP-8, who we appeared to have been needlessly tantalizing.

While I wasn’t around Chuck during his “Chief” years, everything I have heard about him is stellar. Chuck cared deeply about the important things. I am proud to have known him “back in the day”, and proud of the leader he became.

A while back, I received a “gift” from Chuck. Back in the day, unable to take my classified notes with me, I handed some pages down to people still on active duty. Chuck held on to a few pages of those notes for many years, and eventually, they were no longer classified. Knowing I would be “moved” by some particular items, Chuck forwarded them to me. A page from my notes dated 12 JUL 68 is currently on display in my den. Chuck and I were on watch together when that page was created. Every time I look at that relic from our past, some 51 years ago, I think of Chuck – and I always will.

RIP Chuck

Re: Chuck Cable

George,

Well said, Master Chief.... well said.

VR, Jim

Visits: