IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
REQUEST: COMMANDER UNDERSEA SURVEILLANCE HERITAGE CENTER REQUEST FOR INTEGRATED UNDERSEA SURVEILLANC

Greetings all. If you have old System related "documents, equipment, photos, and other items of significance that support the story of IUSS" you may want to read this.

The current CUS Commodore, CAPT Scott Luers, USN handed me an official letter and asked that I share it throughout IUSS related social media and other venues.

- Jim

28 August 2019

To: All USN and Allied Partners Associated with IUSS

Subj: COMMANDER UNDERSEA SURVEILLANCE HERITAGE CENTER REQUEST FOR INTEGRATED UNDERSEA SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM ITEMS OF SIGNIFICANCE

1. The Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS) began in 1954 with the commissioning of Naval Facility Ramey, Puerto Rico as the nation’s first dedicated broad ocean listening post. Designed to provide U.S. Navy and allied anti-submarine commanders with superior acoustic cueing against adversary nations’ submarine threats, the undersea warriors of IUSS – and those who support them – have been providing this invaluable service ever since.

2. Originally, IUSS was a clandestine effort operating under the code word CAESAR, and only recently where these operations brought to light at the end of the Cold War. Because of the extreme secretive nature of these operations, few artifacts of significance have survived or been retained.

3. The U.S. Navy has a vast and proud heritage. The Chief of Naval Operations has directed subordinate commands to preserve and cultivate that history. Those of us associated with IUSS have a similar obligation by assuring that the historical exploits and challenges faced by our community for over 65 years are preserved for future generations to appreciate.

4. Over the next few years, and in conjunction with the construction of our new building, Commander Undersea Surveillance (CUS) will develop the IUSS Heritage Center. We are collecting documents, equipment, photos, and other items of significance that support the story of IUSS and those who have contributed to its mission. In support of that effort, I request all commands and personnel currently and formerly associated with IUSS review their unclassified equipment and records and provide these to the IUSS Heritage Center project prior to destruction or disposal. CUS will assume responsibility to accurately account for and effectively preserve these items while also documenting the contributing person(s) and/or command(s).

5. My Point of contact for this matter is the CUS Public Affairs Officer or N6 Department Heritage Coordinator, available at (757)492-5166 or (757)492-5149 respectively. Additionally, I am available for any questions or concerns at (757)492-7110. I appreciate your support in this important endeavor.

S. C. LUERS
CAPT USN
Commander Undersea Surveillance

Visits: