Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Veterans Day

I had several people approach me when I was out shopping yesterday who to the time to thank me for my service. This typically happens but yesterday's greetings appeared to be much more heart felt. I heard a great quote yesterday as well. "Our flag continues to wave because you never wavered". God bless all the veterans past and present.

Veterans Day has drawn more positive attention in recent years, which has been good to see. My 2 youngest grandsons are in 3rd and 7th grades in Florida and their schools made it a point of celebrating vets. I celebrate and thank each of you!

Veterans Day in Newfoundland saw numerous events for veterans here including members of the American Legion Post on the island. Every year the students at Levalle High in Placentia put on a remembrance service honoring those from the area who have served. Those remembered included U.S veterans who settled in the area. This year myself, Terry Clower, and George Walter were among the ex Argentia sailors attending plus Johnny Seay also showed up. The Legion was also represented on Monday in both St. John's and Mt. Pearl. Also on Monday the town of Gander dedicated the stretch of the TCH from the Silent Witness Memorial (site of the lose of 248 members of the 101st Airborne division in 1985) in their memory. Most of us do not get home often but we maintain a tradition started here by the bases that were established around the rock in the 40s. Frog

Visits: