IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My first Thanksgiving Day in SOSUS (1955).

One of my most memorable Thanksgiving was in Iceland. I was TAD to the Iceland Defence Force and had made contacts with a Danish cook, a ship's captain, an Icelandic policeman, and a family from Reykjavik. Meeting each of them would be a story to tell you. It was a real experience getting everyone approved to be on base. They were all impressed by the Turkey. At that time a bucked of fried chicken would cost $100 in Reykjavik. My wife is also a terrific cook so this was a traditional US turkey spread. But mostly, I remember the look on the cook's face when I asked him to carve the turkey. That meal was something special we shared with my friends. Sometimes I regret not going back for a second tour.

My first Thanksgiving day was spent at watch supervisor OT1 George Fausel's off base house with his wonderful wife and family, where we had a great Thanksgiving feast and great time away from home. Thanks again George, Coos Bay was the best NavFac for great friends.

My first was on San Nicolas Island - 1960. I still recall the spread at the chow hall, including a specially printed "menu" for Thanksgiving dinner. This should be an interesting string that Ed started. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Our first SOSUS thanksgiving was at Argentia in 66. Pat and I were renting a shotgun apartment in Freshwater. Pat had been in Arg all of 30 days so didn't have much in the way of pots and pans and now that I think about it, didn't have much of anything except good friends. Charlie and Sandy Kohn lived just down the hill from us and they invited Pat and I and Billy Howard for thanksgiving dinner. Pat and I were in amazement with Charlie and sandy's home, furnishings, relatively new car and all. It was a warm, comfortable and fun thanksgiving. Kind of kick started Pat and I to get our own "stuff" and share future thanksgivings which we did the following year by having Charlie, Sandy and John Burrell at our home. It was those Arg "get togethers" at peoples homes that made that tour one of the best.

I don't recall most of the holidays when I was in but one Thanksgiving definitely stands out.

I reported to Centerville a couple of days prior to Thanksgiving in 1976. I was a fresh third class, had put the crow on while in transit between Bermuda and CB. I had been told that the watch sections were full and that I would be field day/day work for the next couple of months.

On Thanksgiving day I was summoned by the Ops Officer and I was informed I was going into a watch section. That was a nice surprise that I wouldn't be swabbing decks but at the same time it was puzzling so of course I asked why this was happening.

Turns out that an entire watch section had managed to wipe itself out that evening. Nobody died and if I remember, there were no real injuries beyond a broken leg (or two) once it was all sorted out.

There was a car accident. The entire section was in the car. The car had ended up upside down in a ditch. At that point, nobody was injured. They were shook up but safe. They managed to get a door open and the first person, while getting out, fell about 6 feet or so into the ditch. Then the next person fell on top of them, etc. etc. like a line of dominoes until the entire watch section was lying on top of each other in the ditch.

That's the way I remember it, accurately or not. (Names were reserved to protect my future physical well being).

Visits: