IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
British Royal Navy CPO John (Jumper) Colling

I just received a letter from Jumper's wife Dottie. He passed away on Saturday, January 25th after a short stay in the hospital. Jumper, as he was known to everyone, served as the British Liaison CPO at Navfac Lewes, Delaware with me from 1978 to 1980 or 1981. He was a good friend and an unforgettable character. We've kept in touch over the years with an annual letter at Christmas time. They have resided in Spain for a long time. He and Dottie stayed with Elaine and I for a week or so sometime in the 90's. He played (bad) golf and partied. I played (bad) golf. If anyone would like to send Dottie a card, please reply directly to me and I'll Forward the address.

O.B.

Re: British Royal Navy CPO John (Jumper) Colling

So sorry to hear this. Bill Smith told me recently in email that Jumper was having health problems. I sent an email to Dot and jumper but did not get a reply.

What a fun guy he was. And yes O.B., his golf was questionable at best. He, I, Dot and Pat played a round of golf in South Alabama a few years back. As a lot of people know, Pat can play better than I and and Dot was better that Jumper so we really didn't have a chance. I birdied the 17th hole to draw us even in the match and then proceeded to make an 8 or 9 on the 18th to lose the match. Jumper rode me like a mule the rest of the afternoon. I just didn't have the heart to remind him that he had not won a single hole all day. And, I still had to buy dinner that night.

Colorful and fun is a great description of the guy. I will certainly miss his emails. Please send pat and I the home address so we can communicate appropriately.

Fair winds and following seas my good friend.

John

Visits: