IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Dire Situation, and a Uniquely Efficient Way to Help the Cold War Museum Right Now, If You're Wil

Shipmates, Some of you may recall that The Cold War Museum in Northern Virginia displays our IUSS Cold War artifacts (Actuator, OT uniforms, grams, etc.). The museum has been forced to close like most other museums and the Executive Director has asked for assistance in collecting necessary funds to help get through this period of no income.

Since they now house and maintain our SOSUS/IUSS Cold War Relics, I was wondering if members of the IUSSCAA might want to consider making individual donations to help keep the museum afloat during this COVID pandemic. Not sure when they will be able to reopen but I do know other museums in Virginia like Nauticus and Battleship WISCONSIN where I volunteer are in planning stages to prepare to hopefully reopen in another month or two.

Please see Jason Hall's note below my signature. It's easy to donate on the following website -

https://www.givelocalpiedmont.org/organization/coldwarmuseum

Interesting times we are living through right now. I trust you and your families are well and coping. Kathy and I are well and thankfully there have been no illnesses or job losses in our extended family. Nothing has really changed for us other than no EMS ambulance driving for Kathy and no Battleship Quarterdeck watches for me.

Thank you for your consideration.

- Jim Donovan

************************************************************************************

This to people who’ve given the Museum some of your Cold War artifacts. You know us, you know what we do, and we thank you for helping us teach about the Cold War in an irreplaceable way—through the real artifacts of the time. I’m glad to have corresponded with you on behalf of the Museum’s board and staff—to have thanked you, heard your thoughts, and welcomed you to come to the Museum if you hadn’t visited and seen our exhibits.

I truly hope you’re well, and that everyone in your extended family is well.

All of our scheduled events, including our Presentation Series events, are alive and well—not cancelled, just postponed. (I’m attaching a copy of those, FYI, in case you’d like to see some of the things we’ve been doing.)

But those events can’t take place if the Museum can’t open its doors again on the other side of this situation we’re all facing. That’s the dire situation in the title above.

Our wonderful Museum, dedicated to the history of the Cold War, will continue to be closed until the Governor’s Executive Order is lifted. With the closure of the museum, our revenue sources have ceased. Even though we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, the stimulus from the CAREs Act (as the legislation currently stands) offers no relief to our Museum.

But our bills are coming in as they normally do, so we need your help. If your finances and other pressing needs allow, we would be most grateful for a financial contribution to help prepare the Museum for our reopening when the lockdown ends and our revenue streams restart.

And there’s an unusually efficient way right now for you to make such a gift to the Museum: through Give Local Piedmont, an annual, online fundraiser mounted by our local community foundation (the Northern Piedmont Community Foundation) for charities in Fauquier and three adjacent counties. It’s efficient because your gift will trigger matching funds, so its effect will be amplified.

To make a tax-deductible contribution to The Cold War Museum in Give Local Piedmont 2020, please click here: https://www.givelocalpiedmont.org/organization/coldwarmuseum The official GLP day is May 5th but you can make your contribution immediately if that’s most convenient, although gifts on May 5th provide the most benefit to the Museum (they qualify us for additional prize money.) Either way your gift will trigger matching funds, and we’d be very grateful.

And as a gift to you for your help, please click on this link to the Museum’s most recent newsletter, so you can see what we’ve been doing in recent months: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0r2oxwe80054af/CWM%20Newsletter%20Winter%202019-2020%20FINAL.pdf?dl=0

Thank you so much for your help!

Jason Hall
Executive Director

Re: A Dire Situation, and a Uniquely Efficient Way to Help the Cold War Museum Right Now, If You're

Thanks for the post Jim.

For anybody considering donating, please notice this in the note above:

"To make a tax-deductible contribution to The Cold War Museum in Give Local Piedmont 2020, please click here: https://www.givelocalpiedmont.org/organization/coldwarmuseum The official GLP day is May 5th but you can make your contribution immediately if that’s most convenient, although gifts on May 5th provide the most benefit to the Museum (they qualify us for additional prize money.) Either way your gift will trigger matching funds, and we’d be very grateful. "

So, if you do your donation on May 5 they will get more money then if you do a donation today or on May 6. May 5 is this coming Tuesday, so if you can hold on and do the donation then, it will do the most good.

Click Here to Donate

Re: A Dire Situation, and a Uniquely Efficient Way to Help the Cold War Museum Right Now, If You're

I will donate on the 5th as they requested.
Thank you. Take care -Stay safe. Ed Smock

The Association donated $300.00 to the Museum this morning. We are grateful for their cooperation in hosting the fantastic display that Jim Donovan put together and want to do our part.

It's your money and you should know about it.

Nick

Visits: