IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Death in 2019 of Terje Kristensen, Another System Pioneer in Norway

Terje Kristensen, who was for many years, the Station Chief at the other site in Norway died in 2019.

I made many trips to his station in the 70's and 80's. He was a wonderful, welcoming man of quiet nature greatly
respected by all who knew and/or worked for him.

Perhaps my best memory was arriving at a very remote airport in the extreme north on 4 January in the early-80's
to find no one there to meet me. The plane had left and there was only one man in terminal. Fortunately, he spoke
English and knew Terje; everyone of importance in the north knew everyone else of similar status even though
they may have lived many miles apart.

He called Terje who drove 100 km to pick me up. All the correct massages had been sent by the US and the trip
approved by Norwegian authorities; however, no one in Oslo had notified the Station Chief.

it was a long drive through the desolation of an arctic night, every thing covered with deep snow and the temperature
well below zero and so it was until 17 January when the sun returned for about 20 mins but gaining as much each day.

There is a saying in the far north: "With the return of the sun comes the cold," ad so it was until I left in mid Feb.

Visits: