Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: That Good Ole Arkansas boy, Larry Wilcher

Correct me if I'm wrong...I think the first OT LDO optechs selected were Bradford, Wilcher, Ratliff and myself- one a year starting in year group 1978. The next year there were none then 5 selections in year group '83. It finally dawned on someone that the need was there. I lost track of Bradford but Larry of course reached the CO level at DN and I haven't seen Gordon Ratliff in ages. Dang, next April 2nd will make that 40 years ago for me!
VG Smith made CWO2 same day and the CB wardroom generously gave each of us a sword. (Gave mine to my son on his 30th bday) I thank Will James again for my selection, the Navy made a terrible decision in not selecting him for Captain.

Re: That Good Ole Arkansas boy, Larry Wilcher

Never had the pleasure of serving with Larry at an operational duty station. We first met in Key West in the middle 60s. Both being from the great state of AR, we hit it off immediately. I ran across him a couple of times during my active duty and once long after I had retired from active duty and he was serving his COs assignment. What struck me about all of our encounters was his consistency. He was the same guy as a CO as he was as a boot camp trainee in Key West.
As Smokey said, he is one of the best and he got that way by being consistently Larry Wilcher from AR all his life.

J

Visits: