Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for update

I'm glad to hear Rick is hanging in there. For Rick, if you read these boards...One of my strongest memories is when I was an STGSN and you were an STG3, and I was relieving you as reader on '11 at Arg. Nautilus was making as close a CPA as possible and it was epic...ran out of source codes. You had this silly grin, carbon dust all over you and were almost dizzy from dealing with it. That was a crazy experience and I'm grateful I got to share it with you. Continue your fight!

Randy

I'll never forget that night Randy! I'll bet neither of us will forget it! Great memories!

Cape Hatteras in probably 1980 (not sure as I was there for 4 years). When I was a watch supervisor there was a certain PO that was running PA who would always change my classifications on me. He and I got into many arguments over stuff, mainly pretty friendly but professional arguments regarding what we saw and how we interpreted it.

The sides got flipped and I took over PA and he went out to the watch floor.

I get a call from him one night asking me to come to the T bldg so I stop by at some point to see what I was being beckoned for. I was informed that they had something that looked like possibly artifact but all the equipment checked out and could I take a look at it. Whatever it was it had been running throughout the watch and it was probably about half way through the eve watch.

I went over and I don't remember which station it was on but every console had dark black lines with all sorts of white alongside, looking a lot like artifact. I looked for a few minutes and then started giggling. He looked at me like I was nuts. I went around and unrolled some beams and looked, unrolled some more. Eventually had the entire station unrolled and at that point I was just cracking up. The entire watch section was watching at this point and he said something along the lines of "Well?".

I replied that it was the Nautilus and it was apparently going directly over the love point. I wont go into details of the signal freq wise but it was showing main MCP loud enough to blow out the gram with a harmonic of it along with blade and the standard giveaway characteristic of a US blade along with a ton of other stuff. So, we discussed it for a while and he asked what I was laughing about and I replied something along the lines of "well, it started about 4 minutes after you came into watch so you have to write it up and eat about a 4 hour time late."

Names left out to protect the not so innocent.

You mean to say they had to grab a tarf ! The boom box of the sea its first screws are on display in Groton Ct. Notice I mentioned first screws. Had to chuckle I had the same pleasure in 1970, but we grabbed the tarf

That's a great memory Randy and as always I feel like I was there with your eloquent style.

Jane, your nice words are always so welcomed....not sure they are deserved but welcomed, nevertheless. And they are returned two-fold! I'm just grateful that we survived CVB road in your Honda after a Friday club outing, when you reached over and turned off the ignition, which also locked the steering...at 30 mph or so. I think the logic was I shouldn't have been driving and you definitely couldn't :). Ah, the good ol' days!
For folks that read these boards, Chris and I attended Master Chief Wright's retirement ceremony in Washington more than a few years ago and you would have thought it was CNO'S retirement. The number of flag officers and Master Chiefs, etc, was demonstrative, not surprisingly, of just how well Jane had done over the years. It was my good fortune to attend, especially since I first met her as OT3 Price in '78 or '79.

Visits: