IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Passing of OTC Fred Keith

Lost a good friend and shipmate. Fair winds and following seas, Fred.

Click on the Website link for the obituary.

Re: Passing of OTC Fred Keith

Very sad news. Fred was my LPO at that boiling hotspot of NAVFAC Lewes and a very good friend and shipmate.

Quick story.

I worked part time for the state park service at Lewes and buried the park's 4WD GMC stickup truck on the beach, just seaward of the T-Building. Up to the axles in 18 inch water, storm tide coming in, water in the cab. I am getting ready to go on my first sea duty assignment.

I abandon the truck and climb the dune to the building, drenched and cold, and place a 911 call to Fred. He comes out in a storm, grabs a huge tractor from the park's motor pool, drives it up through the Fac, over the dune to save me.

I was greatly relieved to see him. While I was waiting, I calculated that it would take about 50 years to payoff that truck on $196 every two weeks.

We get the truck out and no harm. I owed Fred some cold brews for that one.

Seem to remember Fred wore Wellington boots back in the Seafarer days.

RIP, old friend. Congratulations on a life well-lived.

Nick

Great memory of a great person. Fred and I were stationed together a couple of times during our careers. He was a loyal friend and shipmate. If he said he would do something for you... you could take it to the bank! Fair winds ole buddy, and take a well earned rest.

You know, Fred is the kind of man and patriot our country can ill-afford to lose, especially in this day and age. His service to his country and to his family will always be remembered fondly, evidenced by Nick's great story.
May he forever rest in peace, as he richly deserves.

Visits: