Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2020 IUSSCAA Cable has been published

Good Evening,

We have made an executive decision (please do not ask who "we" are as it is highly classified, tippsy topsy secret stuff).

We decided to publish the IUSSCAA Cable link on Facebook and on the IUSSCAA Message Board before the email blast has been completed.

So, the latest, greatest version of the IUSSCAA Cable Newsletter can be found at http://www.iusscaa.org/datafiles/cablenovember2020.pdf.

Topics in this edition of THE CABLE include:

Their Mission: Find Enemy Subs by Virginian Pilot, Sept 1999
IUSS-CAESAR Alumni Association. Greetings! by Commodore Brian Taddiken
Naval Facility Point Sur, California by Carol O'Neil
IUSS Short Stories
Monsters on the Shore by Thomas F. Koehl
Adventures at Ramey by Jim Trimmer
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished by Thomas F. Koehl
Stories From "OUR BOOK" by Ed Smock
Assignment Sonar A-School 1956-1957 by Dick Rentner
NavFac Keflavik, Iceland 1966-1967 by Jerry Juliana
"The Navy's Most Beautiful Island" by John Ross
My Navy Journey by Ben Crawford
NAVFAC Brawdy - In the Beginning by Lawrence Moore
People News
In Memoriam

We hope you enjoy the latest issue.

Re: 2020 IUSSCAA Cable has been published

Guys, An outstanding Cable! I loved the Sur and Midway articles. And John, if you read this, Gary Morgan and I colaborated to get those orders for you. You earned them, and we knew you would excel as an instructor. And you mastered RPN too! ;-)

Just completed a cover to cover read of "The Cable" and all I can say is "Wow". Great contributions by the various authors and a class effort in the organization and publishing of the document.

A hearty "BZ" to all involved. It is really a job well done.

J

I too have read a fair bit of the newsletter and I would echo John Ellis's "WOW". I especially enjoyed the short stories by CDR Koehl. I was stationed in Bermuda at the same time and recall both events. Just a sidebar to the cockroach story, Seaman (Chicken) Martin not only ate the cockroach he boasted that he would eat a road toad for $100. I don't think the latter ever happened. I must say that in those days a lot of crazy things went on during long mid watches. Sure do miss that carbon dust (haha).:grinning:

I would like to "weigh in" on the toad story. Yes indeed, "Super-Chicken" was game for eating a toad. I was Ops Chief at the time, and when I came in one morning, some "nervous feet" were doing a shuffle in front of my desk. Eventually the words came out - "Chief - you should know that Super Chicken is going to eat a live toad". The collection of $100 started during the Mid watch, and they were well on their way to collecting the booty. Even your average sailor bored on a Mid watch can recognize that some things are just "over the line". So - the idea of letting the Chief know what was happening, and the buck would be passed.

After I verified that the "bet was really on", and that the stack of greenbacks was growing taller, I called Super Chicken in for a Chat. I can still remember that conversation. Among my fondest memories of my active duty years was that (successful) attempt to talk him out of it. Not all "counseling sessions" turn out well. That one did. And somewhere in the NAVFAC compound, a toad smiled.

I really miss those days.........

Visits: