Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2020 IUSSCAA Cable has been published

I would like to "weigh in" on the toad story. Yes indeed, "Super-Chicken" was game for eating a toad. I was Ops Chief at the time, and when I came in one morning, some "nervous feet" were doing a shuffle in front of my desk. Eventually the words came out - "Chief - you should know that Super Chicken is going to eat a live toad". The collection of $100 started during the Mid watch, and they were well on their way to collecting the booty. Even your average sailor bored on a Mid watch can recognize that some things are just "over the line". So - the idea of letting the Chief know what was happening, and the buck would be passed.

After I verified that the "bet was really on", and that the stack of greenbacks was growing taller, I called Super Chicken in for a Chat. I can still remember that conversation. Among my fondest memories of my active duty years was that (successful) attempt to talk him out of it. Not all "counseling sessions" turn out well. That one did. And somewhere in the NAVFAC compound, a toad smiled.

I really miss those days.........

Visits: