IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Joke is on me!!!!!

When I responded to Al's post, it was the first time I had been on the web site since Dec 11.
As some of you may recall, I wrote a post about being involved with Pfizer Corp and their clinical trials to find an effective Vaccine. Where the study was blind, there were a couple of things that led me to believe that I had gotten the Vaccine. I even pushed the envelope a bit kind of challenging my immunity.

Well, that was a mistake. On Dec 11, I lost all sense of taste and smell and by 12 December, I was down hard. I won't go through all the details but suffice to say, it was a sobering experience. I got the full load including an after effect call "COVID Pneumonia". With my old smokers lungs, one can imagine that the Pneumonia was not a lot of fun. However, the person from whom I caught the virus is having a far worse time than I did and in fact he is still borderline as to if he will make it.

So, Pfizer has agreed that I got the placebo and has me schedule for the Vaccine in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm over it and doing well.

So, why did I write this. Having COVID is pretty common now days and doesn't necessarily require a post to the masses. But, I was down hard from Dec 12 through Ded 29 and I missed some important things.

First and most importantly, I want to acknowledge the loss of Fred Schwanz. I just read about it and it was a shock. Back in early Dec, I had read or heard that Fred was completing rehab and based on that, I thought he was doing well. So, Linda and the remainder of Fred's family, I'm truly sorry that I am belatedly sending my condolences but that doesn't make them less sincere. We lost a good man, a good friend and a good shipmate. May Fred rest in peace and may the family use memories of better times to cope with their loss.

Secondly, I missed all the seasons greeting that my old friends and cohorts sent and there were a bunch of them. I spent tne morning reading each and everyone of them and was blown away by the sheer amount of cards and notes. I ask each of you for a "pass" this year as I was down and Pat had her hands full seeing to me. We'll do better next year.

and finally, Pat and I would, in an after the fact manner, wish each and everyone of you a year 2021 that brings closure to this virus nightmare and health and happiness to each of you

John and Pat

Re: The Joke is on me!!!!!

Sorry to hear you had to go through that John but glad you recovered. Count your blessings, my friend.

Randy

John,
Sure glad to hear from you and to hear that you are winning your battle with the virus.
Take care my friend. - Ed Smock

John, That was no joke! You are very fortunate that it wasn't worse and I am glad you've gotten through it. Very proud of you for being one of the guinea pigs with Pfizer. It was a hugely successful effort. One of our common friends, Dennis Christianson was also part of a COVID vaccine trial (Moderna). Fortunately for Dennis, he was one of the guys who actually got the vaccine and not the placebo. He had no issues and is now fully vaccinated.

Kathy has had her first shot (EMS - volunteer EMT). I am waiting the the 65 and older crowd to be in the window. If it wasn't for people like you and Dennis we would at this point today. Thank you.

Be well friend.

- Jim

The Lexington Ky Veterans Center is having a COVID vaccine clinic tomorrow, Jan 16, for veterans 50 and older. Wonder if any other VAs are doing this?

My wife and I received our first vaccine shots last Saturday at the Naval Medical Center in Portsmouth, VA. Retired and dependents over 65 are eligible, Monday-Saturday mornings. (Afternoon is for active duty only)

Visits: