IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My father

My father was an electrical engineer with Bell Labs for his whole career. He worked on Project Caesar. He used to go to Eleuthera for months at a time when I was growing up. He talked about Joe Kelly who was his main contact person with the Navy over the years. My Dad's name was Robert Ruble Galbreath. He was a graduate of Carnegie Tech and was hired right out of college by Bell Labs during the depression. I was writing about my Dad when I decided to see what the internet had to say about Project Caesar. Boy was I surprised when I came up with your web site and information. I also searched under the system he helped build called the Beach Master and found a trove on that also. My Dad worked on that also.
It is amazing to read the full history of the project and how it developed over the years. I remember visiting Bruce Hezzon and Marie Tharp in NYC with Dad. The Labs contracted with them to work on something to do with the undersea mountains that had been newly mapped and drawn by Marie Tharp.
Dad used to tell us about his stays on Eleuthera and used to talk about the only place available at the time to stay on the island. It was truly a backwater then..

Thanks for the memories
Catherine Galbreath
hfcbook@yahoo.com

Re: My father

Catherine,
When you write about your father - know that SOSUS/IUSS continues to Protect Freedom through Undersea Surveillance due to his early effort with Project Caesar. We thank Robert for what he did in those early days. Ed Smock

Visits: