IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Happened to General Hideki Tojo, the Japanese Prime Minister from 1941 to 1944

See link to the BBC for details additional to those below. (Not working for me.)

The remains of Japan's World War II prime minister were scattered over the Pacific Ocean after his execution, US documents have revealed.

Officials were concerned supporters of Hideki Tojo - one of the men behind the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 - would try to find his body and treat him as a martyr.

After his execution for war crimes in 1948 he and six others were cremated.
A US Army aircraft then dropped their ashes in the ocean.

Japanese lecturer Hiroaki Takazawa at Tokyo's Nihon University found the declassified documents at the US National Archives in Washington DC.

"I certify that I received the remains, supervised cremation, and personally scattered the ashes of the following executed war criminals at sea from an Eighth Army liaison plane," US Army Maj Luther Frierson wrote in one documents dated 23 December 1948 - the day Tojo and six others convicted.

Underneath are the names of the seven men, including Hideki Tojo's.
Maj Frierson wrote that he witnessed their execution and then boarded a plane with their remains - placed in separate urns. They flew to "a point approximately 30 miles (48km) over the Pacific Ocean east of Yokohama where I personally scattered the cremated remains over a wide area."

Frierson added that the ovens used for the cremation were "cleared of the remains in their entirety", adding that special care was taken "to preclude overlooking even the smallest particles of remains".
Speaking to the Associated Press news agency, Mr Takazawa said US officials were determined to stop any supporters of Tojo's find his ashes.

"In addition to their attempt to prevent the remains from being glorified, I think the US military was adamant about not letting the remains return to Japanese territory ... as an ultimate humiliation," he said.

Re: What Happened to General Hideki Tojo, the Japanese Prime Minister from 1941 to 1944

Very interesting, Bruce.

I do find it a bit ironic that we went to all the trouble of healing Tojo when he attempted suicide just so we could execute him later.

Take care

Visits: