IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More Irresponsible Reporting of a Submarine Loss Event (THRESHER)

There is an article in the NATIONAL INTEREST entitled "The Horrific Way a Navy
Submarine Crew Died: The Sub Split in 6 Pieces."

Others are going after the author of that article armed with my following assessment:

Based on very high time-resolution analysis (0.002s) of a recording of the SCORPION collapse
(implosion), we know that the compression phase of a collapse at great depth occurs - and
complete - in 16 percent of the reciprocal of the bubble-pulse frequency (BPF).

The THRESHER BPF was 3.4 Hz, the reciprocal of which is 0.2941 times 16 percent is 0.047
seconds (0.047s) or 47 milliseconds (ms).

The minimum time in which a human becomes aware of an external event is 80-100ms under
optimum conditions.

When Usian Bolt won the 100m sprint event at the 2016 Olympics, he reacted to the starting
gun in 155ms.

During the preliminary heats, quarter-finals, semi-final and finals, none of the eight 100m
finalists had a reaction time of less than 128ms.

Bottom line: there was no sequential collapse of individual THRESHER compartments on
a time scale discernible to those onboard who - although they must have known collapse
was imminent - never knew it was occurring.

Re: More Irresponsible Reporting of a Submarine Loss Event (THRESHER)

Bruce, I'm glad to see that you are taking these writers to task and thanks for doing so.

In many of your posts you cite certain numerical specifics used in the computations you have made. I was wondering if you have any references for someone who wants to explore these things further. I really never got to explore this area and would like to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

Visits: