Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barry Millard has passed

During our time on this earth, there are those moments. Special moments. Memories are made that last a lifetime - and perhaps beyond. An event - a time frame - something that cannot be forgotten, and should never be taken for granted. Keflavik ("KEF") in 1976-79 was special. If you were there, then I need say nothing more. Barry was a part of that special time. No - Barry was a "significant" part of that time. One only had to walk into the "PA Shop" to sense that. Barry never quit until he was satisfied that he had the correct answer. Some of you worked for/with Barry, and you know there was only one way - the right way, and there was only one answer - the correct answer.

I loved serving with Barry, and that group picture from the 65th means the world to me. What a group of "Studs". If you are in that picture, you feel that tingle of pride - I know you do! As we wish Barry "fair winds and following seas", cherish those special moments and memories.. In our humble lifetimes, it doesn't ever get much better than that.

George (Master Chief), You’re the best! You always know how to bring a point home. Yes…yes of course we who were there and significantly and intricately involved in those operations will never forget that time. It had such a profound impact on each of us. We will always share that.

Regarding Master Chief Barry Millard. I am in touch with his son Brendan Millard. He relayed that in accordance with Barry’s personal wishes, there will be no memorial service nor Celebration of Life by Barry’s family.

However, on Saturday evening this past weekend a System Celebration of Life for former OTs BC Carroll, Rick Smith and Barry Millard was held at the home of Chris Schneider in Virginia Beach. Kathy and I attended along with a good representation of former NAVFACers. It was an Aloha themed event. If anyone is interested I posted a few videos on Facebook of authentic Polynesian hula dancers who entertained us. It was a wonderful and quite appropriate presentation.

I was fortunate to have served with Barry in Keflavik during that special tour George talked about from 76-79 and again later at COSL. Barry was one of our community’s very best. RIP my friend and shipmate.

Visits: