IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pursuing a Posthumous Promotion for CAPT Joe Kelly to Flag Rank

When the ADM Selection Board passed over CAPT Joe Kelly for promotion to Flag Rank,
they could not have known the following:

That the SOSUS System Joe Kelly had been almost singly responsible for bringing to an
operational status was becoming a unique source of critically needed - and otherwise
unobtainable - refined assessments of the design characteristics and performance
capabilities of Soviet/Russian nuclear submarines.

That SOSUS had continued to increasingly become the primary impetus for successful
noise reduction programs for US nuclear submarines which increased the probability of
their survivability in hostile environments.

That SOSUS - expanded to become IUSS - would become a critical asset in efforts to
advance US national defense interests in terms of ocean surveillance of potentially hostile
submarine activity.

Based on these considerations, active duty USN personnel are encouraged to pursue the
posthumous promotion of CAPT Joe Kelly to Flag Rank.

Re: Pursuing a Posthumous Promotion for CAPT Joe Kelly to Flag Rank

Wish there was something I could do to contribute to that selection. More deserving than many to hold stars, and if I had anything to say the rank would be retroactive to the date of his selection board.

Rick:

I'm not really up to speed on flag-rank selection processes but I
assume Joe Kelly came before that board more than once.

If his promotion to Flag-Rank was retroactive, there would have to be a lot
of back pay both for whatever active duty he had subsequent to being
passed over plus his retirement and anything that went to his wife as long
as she lived; then too, she could still be living.

I suggest the best approach would be for those on active duty to contact
multi-star retirees and get them to write letters to the CNO.

Bruce

I have spent some significant time pondering Bruce's assertion and I cannot think of another Naval officer whose efforts contributed more to national defense over the last nearly 70 years.

I know absolutely nothing about the process required to make this happen, but I'm in.

It is likely that the members of the O-7 selection board never even heard of SOSUS. We weren't allowed to talk about it when I joined in 1971 so my guess is that very few selection board members were briefed on our system.

Our membership includes numerous Flag officers and Captains. I would like to see some of them weigh in on this subject, whether they agree or not.

Great idea, Bruce.

Nick

Nick:'

Thank you for your response. Keeping the Selection Board in the dark about SOSUS would have
been very likely.

I am advised there are regs about posthumous promotions. I'll do some more digging.

It will obviously be necessary to get Active Duty personnel engaged if this action
is to go forward successfully.

Bruce

Visits: