Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Smokey

OMG!!!!! What depressing news. I’ve always thought of him as indestructible. He’s always been there. In my mind he’s most famous and well known name in the history of SOSUS. Get well soon old friend. You have my prayers.

Please pass my well wishes and prayers along to Smokey. He is a great man and the true icon of our system.

What sad news. I've crossed paths with Smokey many times since 1963. I'm sure he's been a shipmate, mentor and friend to more members of our community than anyone. I live ten minutes from his facility. If he, or the family should decide it's OK, I'm sure many of us would love to stop by.

Ed SAY IT AINT SO! Get well my friend and mentor. Just never thought of the System sans Ed Smock. Take care my friend and get well. EKD

Chris and I will be praying for you, Smokey.
We still need you so hang tight my friend.

Please let Smokey know he is in our prayers and thoughts. I agree with John, please keep the community up to date. Get better old friend and know that you are very important to many people.

Smokey:
"YOU DA MAN" - always have been, and always will be. I think I speak for the entire IUSS/SOSUS community when I say how much you mean to all of us. We are all better for having known you. You impacted my career in so many positive ways. And - you continue to impress!

So - while you are going through some tough times, please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Good news. Ed is home and planning to work Monday. He's got a full 40 with hourly annotation.

Amazing as he always is. Great news Nick. Thanks for sharinmG.

j

Smokey, I am sure u will pull through this as u are a very tuff man and a mentor to many of us. We spent a few years together in the same room with desks near each other. Sounds like u have won another battle if u are going back to work. The best to u my friend.

I last spoke with Ed on Friday when (according to him) his daughter and granddaughter, the nurse "busted him out" of the rehab facility and brought him home. Said it was like a scene from "One Flew Over the Cooko's Nest" with Jack Nichelson. Ha! Still the same Smokey with that keen sense of humor. We had a few good laughs.

Ed was planning to return to work on Monday and I'm sure he did. Still pounding the matts 68 years and counting! A true legend.

- Jim

Visits: