Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thanksgiving and my Mother

Sorry about the title of my response. The error was mine.

Thanks, Jim, for the info on Jerry.

Re: Jerry Russell

From CAPT Russell's son CDR Doug Russell, USN on Facebook:

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce that Captain Jerry Russell, USN, RET, passed away peacefully this evening at 5 pm. Though it came as a shock how quickly he declined, we are all grateful he passed away without pain and surrounded by his loving children.

Jerry was the very first Naval Flight Officer (NFO) in the United States Navy, commissioned in 1959. He spent 27 years serving our country, and served at both COSP and NOPF (CO) from 80-84. An avid runner, he ran 12 marathons - his last at the age of 70. He is survived by his wife Sharon, son CDR Doug Russell, USN, RET, his daughter Jill Russell, and his grand children Hunter, Vance, Rome, and McKenna.

Captain Jerry C. Russell, USN, Retired
July 7, 1937, to January 2, 2023"

CDR Russell was OPSO at COSL when I arrived from Arg in the fall of 1975 as an Ensign. I served as CDO/OWO in what was then called the EC (not MEC) in the era of ECDAPS for two very happy years before he transferred out and I went back to the 33 shop. Jerry was one of the three best bosses I ever worked for during my twenty year career. Learned a lot of leadership lessons from this demanding, fair-minded and fun SOSUS titan. RIP, friend.

Very sad news indeed. I had much respect for Capt. Russell. Rest in peace...

He was the CO at my first duty station back in the early 70s(NAVFAC Barbers Point) and a very well-liked CO.

Rick

Visits: