IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Tribute to Share

I am very much aware that Smokey is still with us and as we have all said in recent posts, we wish him longevity on this earth with ease and comfort. If I get over the top in my writings, He'll let me know in uncertain terms which he has done before.

But, again, I was CCed on a tremendously well written tribute msg to Smokey with I feel best illustrates the depth, breadth and magnitude of respect that he commands by family, friends and even peers that have not met him in person.

I was moved by the below passage. I ask for and received permission to share on our web site.
The below was written by Ben Crawford who, as he says in his msg to Smokey, spent two tours in the system. Hope all enjoy it as I did.

John

Written by Ben Crawford to Ed "Smokey" Smock on 28 June 2023.

I do not recall meeting you during my brief navy service (USS Elokomin (AO-55) 1963; NavFac Argentia 1964-65; COSL 1966-68), but, at age 83, there are many things I no longer recall, although some days are better than others. I just wanted to relate to you how impressed I am with your history of service to your country, your 69 years of preventing undersea peril, your knowledgeable and humble response to all your shipmates’ issues and inquiries, and the position of honor, respect, and esteem with which they pay you in tribute. The following thoughts I offer for your comfort and peace of mind in the days ahead:

“In the best of times, our days are numbered. So it would be a crime against nature for any generation of people to take any world crisis so solemnly that they put off enjoying those things for which we were designed in the first place: the opportunity to do good work, to enjoy friends, to read a good book, to fall in love, to hit a ball, to bounce a baby on our knee, and to strive to live the “good life.” - Alistair Cooke, British-born American broadcaster (1908-2004)

Heavenly Father, having called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, thy paths yet untrodden through perils unknown, give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us, and your love supporting us. May you be blessed with constant peace, true happiness, and contentment, power, humility, and love, a heaven within eternal glory in the world to come, and if we never meet in this world may the Lord grant that we may muster in His presence, to part no more. Amen. - Adapted from the Wartburg College (Iowa) Choir and Orchestra TV Show, December 2013.

May God bless you and keep you safely in His loving embrace. Stay the course!

Ben Crawford

Re: A Tribute to Share

Thanks for sharing this John. This is a wonderful tribute and I for one feel exactly the same way.

What a great tribute, thanks for sharing that John. I will add that George Widenor was a “sea daddy” to many of us and I once asked him if he had any sea daddies. Without hesitation he said Ed Smock. That in itself lends more testimony to Smokey.

Yes, as Randy so accurately said, we can all recall our "Sea Daddy". And, Smokey was mine. I am a better person for having known Smokey. He made me a better sailor, and taught me how to be a "Chief". I am forever indebted.

John.

Thanks so much for sharing this well-written tribute to Smokey.
As in similar situations, when "the chips are down" we are sometimes compelled to share our deepest feelings for those who have mentored and befriended us over the years. Of course, we all know that there are not enough words to fully thank Smokey for all that he has done for many shipmates (with whom he served, and even those he did not) - and, most certainly for the enormous contributions he has made to "the System".
Although I never served with him, I met him on a couple of occasions following his and my retirement. I also was honored to meet him nearly every five years during the IUSS reunions. Accordingly, I would like to join those who pay tribute to his long and distinguished career and send him a couple of time honored traditional Navy salutations:
BZ Smokey! you have seen and done it all
"Fair winds and following seas" in your sunset years
Irv (Dee) DeMatties

BZ BEN

Thanks to Ben for writing this and John for sharing. And for Smokey being Smokey.

Visits: