Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ed Smokey Smock

There are no words that can describe the loss of this great man. The legacy he left behind is monumental. I am totally confident to say that most all system personnel either knew him or at the very least knew of him. I am honored to say that I personally had the opportunity to work with in Argentia in the early 70's. His spirit will live on in the minds and hearts of all who knew him. It is with saddened heart that Deb and I send our condolences and prayers to his family. RIP Smokey, You have more than earned your eternal peace. God bless shipmate.

Ed's obit can be found at: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/pilotonline/name/edwin-smock-obituary?id=52496222
Chuck

Throughout my time visiting this website I've read numerous comments on Master Chief Smock and his value to the system and his support to so many of it's members. As previously stated, he was a giant and I wish I had been able to meet and work with him. My sincere condolences to his family.

This news is very hard to take. We heard it was coming, but still seeing the obituary really brings it home. His presence will be missed, I cannot remember him without that wonderful smile and his love for our system and its people. Till we meet again shipmate :-(

Some people live all their life not knowing that they made a difference in this world. That certainly is not the case for Ed Smock. What would the system be without Ed's gentle guidance and loving commitment? That is hard to comprehend. I do know this... he positively touched the lives of so many of us that the word legend seems inadequate. He was a giant, and like all giants throughout history, resides in the rarified air of being the best their ever was. Fair winds old friend. We'll meet again soon.Our condolences to the Smock family.Remember the good times.

Rick and Joan Matthews

What a personal loss. In my early years, he taught me, In my "middle" years, he reinforced me and in our final years, he was a great friend that made me laugh. Oh, could he make me laugh.
I specifically recall one time when we were fishing together on a lake somewhere around Yorktown.
The laughter started before we cleared the pier and when we returned, some 5 hours later, all i had to show for the venture was sore abs from laughing so hard. I have never had such a good time and not caught a thing.

I spoke with him via phone about a month ago during which he assured me that he was OK but the days were getting harder. I could tell from his voice that the end was near, But....., that didn't stop him. Before the call was completed, he had me in stitches again. We left each other on a high note and I will always be thankful for that.

I'll miss my really good friend. I will really miss him a lot..

Again, Pat and I send our condolences to the Smock family.

John and Pat Ellis

Smokey will be sorely missed. Not only was he one of the "founders" of what has become IUSS, he was also a "pillar" of our system for 60+ years and will always be remembered as long as our system continues to exist.

Rick

It made me very sad to hear that Ed had passed when I logged into the message board today. Like all the comments from people that knew him, Im at a loss for words. Smokey was retiring from the Navy shortly after I arrived at COSL but we worked together a number of times throughout the years as TRW contractors and even some after I left TRW. At one point he was staying with me in my Reston, Va townhouse and driving home on weekends. He cooked some great meals and all I had to do was clean up! He will be missed by his family and countless friends.

So sorry to hear this. He was at the NOPF when I was there.

Visits: