Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Navy is rebuilding its anti-submarine tracking system

Good one Randy and true at the same time. (Still laughing)

J

Thanks for sharing that article Rick.
Ur absolutely correct in that it was a very interesting read.
John

Funny, I was thinking yesterday about AIs use with IUSS. Then I got to thinking about some other trial enhancements to the system...namely in Centerville where the CO hooked himself up to see if he could detect his pulse. Is this one of the aliens you were thinking about Randy, ha!

Good recall, Jane. If I’m not mistaken that was CAPT Gustafson who hooked himself up to the SPEAR subsystem to prove its sensitivity. It worked. Man, I had forgotten that story. 😊🔱

Also, I believe another subsystem, COMPASS might have been a precursor to AI. And we all said “no machine or computer will ever replace the analyst”. And here we are.

Thanks Rick, for sharing.

- Jim

I need to see AI effectively classifying acoustic signatures with my own eyes before I believe it. I wonder how many millions of dollars we have sunk into "Automation" over the past 50 years with basically "bupkis" to show for it.

Rick

Me too. At the very least there are going to be a lot of false detections. I can't imagine a machine that could take all the variables into account and come up with the right answer more than 75% of the time.Hell, I never knew a person who could do that. As far as I can tell to be really good at this takes a certain quality that I honestly can't define or even put into words. Some people are really good at it. And nobody has ever figured out why.

Hi Jane! I think I first met the CO ( initials CR) when he was hooked up with wires and they were trying to play it onto SPEAR. SPEAR was his baby, as was the hideous philosophy of “WIDRIO” (when in doubt report it out). I disliked that mess and he once told me I would be either an officer or a seaman when I left there. If you recall, he also forbid oral boards so we reverted to one on one reviews :) It’s funny, I was just thinking of you a couple days ago and our time in the CVB training division. Hope you and Art are well, my affection and admiration for you remains strong!

CR IS CHRIS ROBBINS

Very interesting IUSS news article. I wonder if the US Space Force will have OTs? Haha

Visits: