Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do it now !

We just got back from a month in Poland, and this was the best time of my life. Working on our return trip now. Everything was great, did not do all we wanted to, but did several other great things. Anyone thinking of a trip to Poland, do it now, don't wait, and put it aside. Anyone with questions on this trip, just ask.
We based in Warsaw, and went from there. Most of this trip was north, this time. We did get to see and walk the grounds that my great grandparents came from, and got to meet my full family over there.
The people of Poland are the greatest, and are happy people, who will help all they can, and than some.
Not speaking Polish does not stop you from doing what you want.
We lived in there homes, ate meals with them, the rich and the poor.
Remember, any questions on this trip, just ask.

Re: Do it now !

Any pictures?

I knew that is what you would say. I hope you visited some of the childrens homes, old peoples homes and rehab centres.
I hope you stayed in small viliges and stayed with farmers.

Pleased you had a great time. A friend visited India recently said the same as you.

I'm glad you had such a good time Michael.

Like you say the Poles give great hospitality whichever end of the social scale they are at.

" I hope you visited some of the childrens homes, old peoples homes and rehab centres."

Is that what you do when you visit the country of your grandparents, Dajwid?
Oh no, I forgot: there are no orphanages in Britain and people start getting younger&healthier as soon as they hit 40.

In my view, the difference between countries like Germany / England / USA and Poland are truely enormous. A quick visit is enough to see this. If Michael were honest he would also have seen this immediately.

However, J.B is correct in pointing out that poverty and deprivation do exist everywhere. And on a vacation one probably wouldn't visit orphanages, etc.

I'd also like to see some of Mochael's photographs.

"the differences between countries like Germany / England / USA and Poland are truely enormous"

Of course they are.
I just didn't like the way Dajwid tried to extinguish Michael's excitement.
Besides, Michael just stated that in his emotional journey he had met very hospitable people, rich and poor, not that he'd found The Wealthiest Place On The Face Of The Earth.

The first thing you notice when traveling is the differences. If you stay long enough you notice the similarities.

JB you don't know the full story.

Better not to comment if you only saw the last 5 mins of the film.

J.B is an old hand here. I'm sure he's read most of Michael's "everything in wonderful is Poland" comments. Michael, please respond, I have some questions for you. As I'm sure others have .

" I'm sure he's read most of Michael's "everything in wonderful is Poland" comments."

Yes, I've read some of these :) .
But I still think visiting orphanages has nothing to do with Michael's great return to the homeland - and that's all from me in this topic, thank you.

I really don't understand what point is being made here. Having a holiday anywhere is not the same as living there. Poland to be sure has its fair share of problems. However, it's great that Michael enjoyed his trip so much. I enjoy my trips to Poland equally so can empathise with his enthusiasm.

Everyone has their own experiences, and while I sympathise that you don't remember your time in Poland with much fondness Dajwid, I am sure there must have been something positive to keep you there for so long and to draw you to live there in the first place.

No I honestly love Poland, I love the people, i had a wonderfull 13 years, I plan on moving back if a few years when 'things get better'. I only find it very hard to swallow the 'Poland is perfect' brigade, many of which have only visited as tourists. When anyone points out any negative points they are attacked and reminded about how Poland suffered bla bla bla.
Poland is not perfect, England Germany and China are not perfect.
Life in Poland is tough, Michael said he wanted to see the real Poland but when I listed places to see the suffering I was ignored and asked for places to visit. i recomended, tricity, Mazury, Kaszuby and many other places. I also said get into tiny villages and meet 'real poles' as apposed to towns, cities and people with anough money to have English lessons.

I am pleased he had a great time but would love to hear if he now has any ideas of how to help Poland, as he was keen to help.