Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GPS coverage Poland

We're planning a road trip to Poland later this year. Can anyone recommend a good GPS for the trip. I hear some makes and models are better than others in covering Eastern Europe.

Re: GPS coverage Poland

Tomtom 710 Fantastic, wouldn't leave home without it. Don't leave it in the car!!

TomTom is fine for western Europe - 99% coverage or similar. But in Poland the mapping covers only around 40%. Maybe there's something with better Polish coverage?

map coverage will be your problem ...

1. Garmin ...
from what i've heard they've tried to cover all Polish cities - but this is only a casual comment from someone and we don't know about the depths of the countryside.

see
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/

do you have a pocket pc ? Then there's auto mapa ... i've heard it's v.good for travelling in Poland

http://www.automapa.co.uk/

no warranties expressed or implied

I have a Garmin Nuvi 650 (for which I paid more than 2000 zl / $600). Unfortunately, the installed maps only cover around 50% of Poland. But, as Claire says Polish cities are done fairly well.

I checked on this. For Poland you need the automapa system recommended by another member. I'm thinking about getting one for my smartphone / pocket pc. If I do I'll report back here.

Excuse me, but I'm just wondering... why do you need a GPS when travelling to Poland?

i don't think it's the gps they want - it's the charting/navigation software on top.
the type that will send then down a country road without realising country=mud

Good point. The route is fairly straightforward. Except perhaps for the motorway section near in the far west of Germany. Essen?

Currently I use mine mainly as an audiobook and mp3 player; and for the oddly sexy female voice giving out precise instructions - "turn left at the next junction", etc .

Oh, yes, the sexy voice :) . That explains everything.
I use similar system: my wife with a map

Hmmm, it has now occured to me that total cost of wife with a map is huge compared to the GPS thingie.

Still, I prefer wife .

My wife and I quickly fall out when she is navigating. The GPS navigation system was cheaper than a divorce .

I have downloaded Joanna Lumley for mine, I like the 'you have arrived at your destination sweetie' 'Turn around darling'.

i'm curious here ... men NEVER ask for help when they're lost so how has this love-of-my-life relationship come about with a lump of software ?
i guess it doesn't do the long-suffering sighs and the "i told you so" moments?
usually well-deserved ...