Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why do Poles leave Poland for the UK?

Following on from the issues raised by the tractor driver job posted on our board,

Why do Poles leave Poland for the UK?

The obvious reason is money. But Poles are usually paid less than a British worker for the same job. That's why employers want Poles.

It's exactly the same in Germany.

But isn't the additional cost of living more than enough to wipe out differences in pay?

Rent, council tax, utility bills, ???, ???.

Could anyone enlighten me and our readers on normal living costs for a family living in the UK compared to the same in Poland?

Re: Why do Poles leave Poland for the UK?

I'm not thinking of a single worker who shares a room with two or three other Poles, but, families from Poland who relocate and live like a normal family in the UK.

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I think they just enjoy life here Hans. For so many years Poles could not get out of Poland without jumping through hoops. Now they are really enjoying the freedom that travel brings. I think some people come to the UK for experience and do not plan to stay forever. Some come to improve their english. There is a large contingent that thinks the streets are paved with gold here. Poles start off in badly paid jobs yes like this farming stuff, but many end up doing really well, they buy houses and nice cars. On the whole they get on very well with the brits. I have always got on very well with people from the UK. The two countries are very compatible for some reason. I get on particularly well with the scots. My uncle even married a scottish woman after being stationed there during the war and I have a long lost scots cousin somewhere.

As I have said before, I don't approve of this enticement of workers because I think it is bad for Poland's future. I am hoping that many will return, particularly with the extra work for euro 2012. I also don't like it when people come here to claim benefits or for crime. It's not the sort of thing us post war generation of Poles were interested in.

Money, money, money.

Not many Polish families come to the UK, Hans. It's mostly singles, sharing rooms in downmarket areas. Polish ghettos.

There are lots of families in London. It's the singles who end up going back.

I don't agree. Mostly they leave the children back in Poland.

It's expensive to rent a house and pay all the bills in the UK!

Now, at the era of globalisation and terrorism geopolitics seems less important than it used to be but if I considered moving to UK with my family the perspective of normal life and continuity would be a great encouragenent. Living in Poland I have to be aware that WOW! I'm the SECOND generation already that haven't experienced the horrors of war!!! (The marital state doesn't count. You never know living in Poland.
I heard Putin gets more and more annoyed lately...

"I don't agree. Mostly they leave the children back in Poland."

So why are schools full of Polish kids Angela?

With more than one million Poles believed to have moved to the UK within the last couple years, there are bound to be a few children.

More than 92,000 Polish families are now claiming family credit and child benefit, according to a recent report in the Daily Mail. However, most of this number leave their children in Poland. Perhaps they will send for them later, perhaps not.

"Now, at the era of globalisation and terrorism geopolitics seems less important than it used to be but if I considered moving to UK with my family the perspective of normal life and continuity would be a great encouragenent. Living in Poland I have to be aware that WOW! I'm the SECOND generation already that haven't experienced the horrors of war!!! (The marital state doesn't count. You never know living in Poland.
I heard Putin gets more and more annoyed lately... "

Thanks. This was the sort of answer I was hoping for.

I'd still like to read an account of the average cost of living in the UK that a Polish family might have to allow for.

Well when I go to church I see Polish children, I go to tescos I see Polish children, I go to the bletchley park Polish festival I see children speaking in Polish. People who have come over are getting married here and having kids as well as bringing children over. Our Parish had to phase the communion over two sessions because there were about 100 kids last year. (used to be about 10 or so). There is even some talk of forming their own school so that when kids return to Poland they have not missed out on the syllabus.

So my experience is mainly families rather than singles.

Ridiculous. Most Polish immigrants are in their early twenties. Our local school has no Polish pupils, but the area is teeming with shaven headed Polaks and bimbofied Polkas in their twenties.

That's your experience Angela. As I said - in my experience and in my part of the world there are lots of families. There are probably lots of singles too.

... bimbofied Polkas in their twenties??

Sounds good.