Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smoking to be banned in Poland

Following restrictions placed on smoking in public places in Western European nations, the ruling Law & Justice (PiS) party in Poland, eager to be even more extreme, has proposed a near complete ban on smoking.

The smoking ban in Poland will apply to all public places: work, offices, pubs and restaurants - and unique to Poland, even in open public spaces (the street, parks, etc.) and in one's own car .

Re: Smoking to be banned in Poland

How I wonder is this to be enforced

Good!

A ban comes into force in England on July 1st. Can't wait.

The ban in the UK does not include open public places. Nor should it.

nowhere left but the sewers ...

It would be great if they just stopped selling the nasty stuff. Generates too much inelastic tax revenue for them to do this.

Cancer is foul - discouraging people from smoking is undeniably a good idea.

Though smoking may kill, why can't governments allow people to choose the means of their own death? And banning it in cars and parks!

If I couldn't take a spliff with me while walking the dog after a hard day's work, I simply don't know what I'd do...

Smoking when driving....

hmm I knew someone who had her car on fire because someone in front of her in a traffic jam threw a cigarette butt out of their window and it set fire to her tyre.

Cars that have had smokers in smell awful.

You can't get the windows clean ever.

Your car insurance premiums can go up if you smoke. This proves that there is a correlation between smoking at the wheel and careless driving.

It wouldn't be pointless to oblige smokers to paying more for their health insurance (instead?).

They have hiked smoking taxes up and up in the UK. They help people quit for free. There is a new drug you can get on the nhs which makes you feel like vomiting when you have a cigarette. They are banning it in enclosed public spaces from July 1st. It's all good news.

I gave up five years ago so I know what both sides feel like and I think it's a disgusting habit which creates an addiction that can be really really hard to shake off. A complete waste of money, dirty, smelly foul cancer sticks that clog your arteries, rot your teeth and make your skin dry. Everyone I know has given up. I have one friend who still smokes and her skin is really starting to show the damage now. The best thing I ever did for my health was give up.

"It wouldn't be pointless to oblige smokers to paying more for their health insurance (instead?). "

I don't think the government can condone legally selling a highly addictive substance in numerous outlets and then expect people to cough up (no pun intended!) to pay for treatment because of smoking related illness. Smokers already contribute high taxes in each packet they buy.

If the government want to stop smoking related disease they should ban smoking and the sale of cigarettes completely. They don't want to do this because even with the additional cost of treatment they make a huge net gain from tax revenue on cigarettes.

Public places and restaurants are fine but the rest is nothing more than assault on personal rights.