Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Polish 'Bryndza' Mountain Cheese

Polish 'Bryndza' Cheese receives EU Protected Designation of Origin certificate

A sheeps cheese known as bryndza is the first Polish regional product to receive the EU Protected Designation of Origin certificate.

The creamy and salty cheese, made in the Polish Highland region of Podhale from ewe's milk, is to be officially recognized next week.

I can't imagine why anyone else would want to copy any variety of Polish cheese. Absolutely foul stuff, in my view.

Re: Polish 'Bryndza' Mountain Cheese

Lol Hans one of these days I expect you to post something nice about Poland.

There are plenty of examples. See my thread about the spread of bidets among the new Polish aristocracy .

If you don't like the Cheese, other must, so keep this to yourself.

A decent polish cheese is very hard to find. Michael, Ania, you both seem to know more than Hans who lives in Poland and shops there everyday, could you reccomend one to us?

Twarog is nice Dajwid (if that's what they call it in other parts of Poland - I don't know). It's like curd cheese/cream cheese and is used for Polish cheesecake. You don't have to live in Poland to find lots of Polish food in the shops. As well you know

As far as I know, they don't have that many varieties of cheese in Poland. I am familiar with Bryndza because I my family is from south of Krakow and you can buy it everywhere. It is too salty for me. Definitely an acquired taste. It is more a touristy thing.

So as Hand says 'pretty discusting'?

I found it hard to find nice hard Cheese in Poland.

In my humble opinion, Polish cheese is either without taste or far too salty. There is a wide range of Polish-produced European cheeses available in most supermarkets in Poland. Unfortunately, they don't taste as they should. I'm sure there are good Polish foods, but cheese is not one of them.

I agree. Any real poles wish to comment?
At the moment an English woman an American man both praising Polish cheese.

Morski tastes like Rubber as does tylzycki and podlaski. Please don't even mention the polish attempts to copy dutch, swiss and Chedder.

Most polish cheese has no flavour.

Polish ham is very good, sausages, very good but Cheese sorry Poland Franch has no need to worry (although I personally prefer a good extra mature English chedder any day).

Dajwid honestly I have no particular opinion on cheese. My point was that Hans is never happy.

I personally like bryndza but will agree that other Polish cheeses are nothing great.

Oscypek, however, is a fantastic cheese. Tastes great grilled

"My point was that Hans is never happy. "

Not true. I'm still laughing to myself about the proud bidet owner I met yesterday .

Don't take this the wrong way but I am sure they are laughing about you too Hans. They probably think you are a bit strange (dziwny)

One thing I am sure that you know is that nobody in the world knows everything and nobody human will ever know everything. There are many things you and I are completely ignorant about. This does not make either of us or the lady with the bidet stupid. Assumption of another's stupidity is all personal judgement at the end of the day.

"They probably think you are a bit strange (dziwny) "

I know this. This is nothing new .

The woman with the bidet is indeed stupid. Just as are all her ilk.

Why I wonder would admire anyone who spends their life wiping an old woman's ass in Germany; cheating the welfare system in Poland; and washing their feet in a bidet?

... anyone admire ...

"Why I wonder would admire anyone who spends their life wiping an old woman's ass in Germany; cheating the welfare system in Poland; and washing their feet in a bidet?"

Certainly I have a lot of admiration for anyone who can do such a job. The old woman must be very grateful too. Just because you do not want to do such a job does not devalue her contribution to the world or make her any more stupid than you.

The welfare system in Poland is in a mess from the sound of it. Mind you it's in a mess in the UK too.
Still that is a whole other debate.

Cheats should never be admired. Nor do I admire my own cleaning woman.

Do you respect and appreciate your cleaning woman Angela for the tasks she does to make your life easier?

Such people are easily replaced. They are nothing special. I pay for their work, if I'm not happy, I sack them, and employ another.

So from the sound of it you don't see them as people at all?

She is an employee. that is what employers do. Have you ever had a job Ania?

Dajwid you think this is what employers do to get the best out of people? If you study work psychology you will find that such treatment is likely to lead to subversive behaviour on the part of the employee, lack of motivation and sabotage. For all Angela knows they may literally spit when they polish.

I am not sure whether you have seen the film "lives of others". It is a German film about the stasi secret police set in Berlin during and post communism.
The main character, an intelligent and sensitive guy, comes to an interesting end. He goes from being a senior interrogator for the stasi with high status to cleaning toilets, all because he turns out to be more human than the bad guys. Does that make him any less intelligent?

"Such people are easily replaced. They are nothing special. I pay for their work, if I'm not happy, I sack them, and employ another. "

Of course - they are doing a job. But when you find a good one, they're worth looking after.

"The old woman must be very grateful too. Just because you do not want to do such a job does not devalue her contribution to the world or make her any more stupid than you."

As Angela says these people are 'ten-a-penny'. Half the people of these Polish towns have worked illegally in Germany for years. The late-comers are now claiming welfare handouts in the UK or on their way.

Read a Polish newspaper like Praca za granica (Work Abroad) and you'll notice that every issue is promoting welfare tourism. It's sold in virtually every store in Poland.

"Of course - they are doing a job. But when you find a good one, they're worth looking after. "

This is, however, very true.

Answering Dajwid's post:

"I agree. Any real poles wish to comment?
At the moment an English woman an American man both praising Polish cheese.

Morski tastes like Rubber as does tylzycki and podlaski. Please don't even mention the polish attempts to copy dutch, swiss and Chedder.

Most polish cheese has no flavour.

Polish ham is very good, sausages, very good but Cheese sorry Poland Franch has no need to worry (although I personally prefer a good extra mature English chedder any day)."

I agree most of polish "sery" is nothing special and I think I know the answer why: Poland has never been the country of shepherds rather ploughmen and hunters. That's all.

As for Angela - with your attitude if your cleaning ady was polish she'd surely call you a "wredna jędza".

I love this forum. How can a cheese thread turn into cleaning ladies?

Twisted minds.

That's why I come here