Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The new Polish 'aristocracy' and bidets

Following on from a comment made by another member about the demise many years past of Polish 'aristocracy'.

I suggest that the new 'Polish aristocracy' are the under-educated peasantry who work in Germany and the UK, wiping old peoples' backsides and putting food in boxes on factory production lines. The money they earn doing these manual jobs is more than enough to save sizeable sums. Many use the money they earn to build huge detached houses back in Poland. Others try to impress their Polish neighbors by buying flashy, no-taste, cars.

Today I visited one such couple. She is around 50 and works in Germany looking after an old woman. She works unofficially and is paid in cash. Her husband claims disability benefit in Poland. This has been going on for four years unchecked.

Despite their official benefit-claiming status, they are far richer than most. Certainly richer than honest Polish families. They are building a huge detached house, complete, with 'tower', in the west of Poland. The house is now almost complete.

Coming on to the funny part of the story ...

During the tour of the house the owner showed us the newly installed bathroom. Proudly she showed us the bidet (something very few people have and certainly use in Poland). Oddly this had been positioned in the opposite cormer to the toilet. As a joke, and pretending I had never seen one before, I asked what this was and what it was for ?

The reply ...

"It's for washing your feet and handwashing socks" !! "All our friends have them now" !!!!

Not being able to resist, and holding back fits of laughter, I explained, using Polish and hand gestures, that a bidet is only for washing your ass.

Even more amuzing was that nobody present would believe my explanation ...

Re: The new Polish 'aristocracy' and bidets

My wife told me on the way back home that I shouldn't have said this to them and the whole family now think I'm completely mad

If Polish people are so bad and dumb, why do you want one for a wife?

My wife, fortunately, knew what bidets are for and in case you haven't worked this out, yet, my mission is one of education .

Maybe the next time the family are showing off their house they will think twice about describing the bidet as a place to wash your feet, and, perhaps, do some handwashing

Then again, maybe not !

are you kidding me?? I think you're full of shit Hans.

No, 100% true .

It's a public holiday in Poland today. Lots of people having 'grills' and gardening.

Funny story.

In France, bidets were used by prostitutes as a not-so-effective method of birth control - washing sperm away, as well as prepare for next customer.

Hans did you also tell them that people use them after sex?!

Most people have always used bidets for washing socks and feet. Not just a Polish thing. They are very useful for this. I used to regularly come across them on holiday in hot countries and they were also very useful for rinsing a swimsuit or flip flops. Bidets used to be very popular in the UK in the 70s. I doubt anyone used them for douching half as much as for pedicure preparation or underwear washing. I've read in the past that douching is not good for you (for women anyway).

""Most people have always used bidets for washing socks and feet. Not just a Polish thing. They are very useful for this. I used to regularly come across them on holiday in hot countries and they were also very useful for rinsing a swimsuit or flip flops. Bidets used to be very popular in the UK in the 70s. I doubt anyone used them for douching half as much as for pedicure preparation or underwear washing. ""

NOOOOO!!!!

Found on the net:-

Portable bidet (Paris, France, 1928)

A bidet has allowed men and women since possibly the Crusades (11th to the 13th centuries) to wash feet, hair, beards, genitals and perineum. The bather usually rides it like a pony; pony is what the word meant in the French of 400 or so years ago.

After taking off the lid, you can see how you would ride this bidet, at left, in the 1911 German guide for housewives Die Frau als Hausärztin (The Woman as Home Physician) by A. Fischer-Dückelman. Here's what the author says about washing during menstruation (my translation):
Every woman should be able to wash her genitals and the neighboring region with lukewarm water in order to get rid of adhering blood, which decomposes quickly, and unpleasant secretions.
The best way to do this is over a bidet by sitting with more or less separated legs and throwing water onto the genitals.

A bidet of today - left, with a toilet in the background, from the interesting site The Virtual Baguette, which apprently no longer deals with bidets - is made of porcelain, mounted in a bathroom next to a toilet, and features a jet of water squirting the genitals and between the buttocks. Although I believe the French have been the main users of the bidet, today one can buy them for bathrooms in at least North America and Europe, although American bidets are often devices mounted on toilets, removed after use.

Also:-

How to use a bidet

A bidet is a bathroom fixture that is used to clean the genitals and anal area after using the toilet or whenever a "freshening up" is needed. Bidets traditionally include a basin and one or more nozzles that direct jets of water upward to the areas to be cleaned, but many are now built into toilets for space-saving convenience. Bidets have long been common throughout Europe and parts of Asia, but they are now increasing in popularity in the U.S., as well. While your first encounter with a bidet can be a little daunting, they are actually very simple to use.

- Wipe at least once with toilet paper after using the toilet. If you have not just used the toilet this step is probably unnecessary.
- Straddle the bidet. On most standalone bidets you can either face the bidet's water controls or you can face away from them, as you would on a toilet. It is easier to control the flow and temperature of the water if you face the controls, but if you are wearing pants you will generally need to remove them in order to straddle the bidet in this manner. There are a variety of bidet designs, so you may need to face one way or the other depending on the configuration of the jets and the area of your body that you wish to clean.
- Adjust the temperature and jet strengths for comfort. If the bidet has both hot and cold water controls, start by turning on the hot water. Once it's hot, add the cold water until you have a comfortable temperature. Be very careful when turning on the water, as many bidets can produce a very high jet of water with only a slight turn of the control. - In addition, be sure that you know where the water will be coming from ahead of time, or you could end up with a surprise shower. You may find that you need to hold the control to keep the jets on.
Position yourself over the water jets so that the jets hit the desired area. For some bidets you can continue to hover above the bidet or you can sit down on it. Note that most bidets don't have seats, but are still meant to be sat upon; you just sit directly on the rim.
- Clean anal area and/or genitals. Generally, you simply allow the jets to clean the desired area without having to use your hands. Some bidets do not have jets, but instead simply have a faucet that fills the basin, as you would fill a sink basin. For these, you will need to use your hands to assist in bathing.
- Dry your skin. Some bidets have a built-in air dryer that you can use. For others, simply pat dry with a towel or toilet paper.
- Rinse out the bidet. Once you are off the bidet, run the jets at very low pressure for a few seconds to rinse the basin and keep the bidet fresh.
Wash your hands with soap and water, as you would anytime after using the toilet.

More:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Bidet

I'm afraid you have trode on some stinky part of Polish society and you take them for "the avaredge"... my condolences

Seriously, I hope I'm not right.

Tha same articles states:-

"Some people use bidets to bathe babies. This should not be done unless this is the sole use for the bidet. "

And there was I thinking that bidets were drinking fountains for very short people .

"Every woman should be able to wash her genitals and the neighboring region with lukewarm water in order to get rid of adhering blood, which decomposes quickly, and unpleasant secretions.
The best way to do this is over a bidet by sitting with more or less separated legs and throwing water onto the genitals. "

This crap must have been written by a man. A woman would have to be sitting on the damn thing for several days!

How about this? See the end.

The bidet

If you grew up in North America, chances are that you probably did not grow up using a bidet at home. The bidet (French derived, and pronounced like filet) is a bathroom fixture used to bathe the external genital and the anal region of the body. The bidet is shaped like a washbasin and is usually placed beside the toilet, which allows the user a quick and convenient means of bathing the target region.

The primary purpose of a bidet is to allow the user to maintain a constant state of good hygiene. A person simply cannot thoroughly cleanse the target region through the use of toilet paper alone. When a person only uses toilet paper, she is essentially carrying the filth on her body until she takes a bath or a shower. The use of the bidet is becoming a modern hygienic norm much like the brushing of teeth. While it is not absolutely necessary that the bidet is used, it provides the user with a significant boost in hygiene.

The bidet cleanses the user with water that shoots out from a high pressure nozzle. While the bidet is designed to be used after the removal of waste to cleanse the anus, in certain parts of Middle Eastern Asia, a bidet is sometimes used to quickly wash the feet. It has also been noted that sometimes people unfamiliar with the bidet misuse it as a "mini-bathtub" to wash their children. It is generally not a good idea to wash children inside a bidet.

Bidets sound designed for those obsessed with paying unnaturally close attention to their nether regions. I would not be surprised if there were a mirrored bidet around so such people can gaze up their ass. I think some countries are more obsessed with what comes out of their bodies than others. This has been taken to a rather unhealthy level in Germany where you cannot flush until you have been confronted with your creation on a little platform. Apparently this allows you to assess the health of your bowels....

As far as women using them is concerned, health advice would indicate that rather than promote sanitation, a bidet will increase the chances of internal infection by pushing what germs may lurk outside into the woman.

Over enthusiastic scrubbing of the female bits is likely to lead to skin irritation or thrush.

Women secrete natural fluids to maintain the health of that area, and as long as a woman has normal hygeine she doesn't need to sit on a bidet all day or any day.

People in the UK usually have a shower every day. Bidets maybe made more sense before showers became popular. In Poland most people have had shower attachments ever since I first visited.

I maintain that Poles have the common sense approach for the use of a bidet.

Hans...I am assuming that as the resident expert of bidets, you have a great deal of experience in the use of one in real life.

I would therefore be most grateful if you could take us through the steps in using a bidet from start to finish. I am particularly interested in how you can use one when you are wearing trousers. Do the trousers remain around your ankles when in use or do you take them off? If around your ankles is there not a risk that you might trip and have an accident when getting off the bidet? Also should men use the bidet when they have done number ones or just for number twos? Is there any likelihood that the bidet jet not damage the mans potency or reproductive capabilities? On the same subject should men only use cold water to ensure their most sensitive spots do not overheat?

I'd just like to say that I don't have a toilet with an inspection platform and that I don't have a bidet. I'm not a fan of either appliance / device (?).

I've seen more platform toilets in Poland than in Germany. They are a thing of the past.

In answer to your question, Ania. I think you'd have to remove your trousers first.

As the original title to the thread suggests, this is symptomatic of the country's nouveau riche. The middle classes are not necessarily going to be the educated. They are going to be the cash-in-hand builders working on a Streatham building site. They are going to be the "farmers", farming nothing but government handouts. They are going to be the wide boys arranging for 12 of their compatriots to share one room in a terrace house in Boston, Lincs, working for less than the minimum wage whilst they pocket the margin.

Once again, as they have seen before under different regimes, honest people are starting to see that honesty doesn't pay in Nowa Polska.

I fear for the future of Poland, I really do. It's going down the bidet.

Sensible words indeed!

Are you a new member of our discussion group, Yorksteve?

Yes it is funny, the lady wanted to show she was special by installing a bidet although she wasn't sure what it was for So Polish.

Ania did you read the first thread?

The educated classes in Poland earn next to nothing. Certainly not enough to build large detached houses and fit bidets to wash their feet in.

"In answer to your question, Ania. I think you'd have to remove your trousers first. "

Are you still wearing socks and underpants at this stage or just socks?