Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Things you like about Poland...

Ok there are so many people complaining on this forum I thought I would post a thread about the good stuff. You have all said that you were attracted to or love Poland for many reasons. Maybe you want to be more specific so that this is not seen as a board for just grumpy old men. If you want a whinge choose one of the countless other threads on here

Re: Things you like about Poland...

Poland is full of hard working, good people who care for others. We just got back from a month over there and it was great, most off the people.

And the women are HOT!!!!

Hi,

my first post to this forum...

Yesterday I had a riding accident near Warsaw.
I was first hosted a farmers house with very kind people, while my wife went back with the horses to get the car. Then we went to main Hospital in Praga for a treatment.
I got CT, sewing and everything from very kind doctors
and nurses in just two hours. And this in times of strike.
Had a similar situation a few years ago in Hamburg and this here was much nicer and the people kinder.
I know that Polands health system is going through tough times and I would not count on such treatment in the country side, but yesterdays treatment was just super.

Anyone else into horseback riding around Warsaw in this forum?

Martin

The countryside and forests.

"Hi,

my first post to this forum...

Yesterday I had a riding accident near Warsaw.
I was first hosted a farmers house with very kind people, while my wife went back with the horses to get the car. Then we went to main Hospital in Praga for a treatment.
I got CT, sewing and everything from very kind doctors
and nurses in just two hours. And this in times of strike.
Had a similar situation a few years ago in Hamburg and this here was much nicer and the people kinder.
I know that Polands health system is going through tough times and I would not count on such treatment in the country side, but yesterdays treatment was just super.

Anyone else into horseback riding around Warsaw in this forum?

Martin "

Greetings and welcome to our discussion group.

Was the treatment under the state healthcare system or did you have to pay for treatment?

One of my favourite things about Poland - Krakow. I have always loved krakow. For me it's the spiritual heart of Poland.

This is a picture taken a couple of years ago of the flower stalls in the market square. I have been there many times but first went there as a child in 1980 when it was very different but yet very similar. For me the thing about Krakow has always been its special atmosphere. Apparently one of the seven chakras in the world is under Wavel castle so maybe that gives it a special glow.

Yes, there are some things. Poles ultimately have good hearts. I really appreciate the family-based culture, and how that culture of helping one another and looking out for each other extends way beyond close family and friends - even to complete strangers.

10 years ago, I'd spun off the Lezajsk-Jaroslaw road in the ice. No breakdown or recovery cover, nothing. I had little hope, and was about to abandon the car and walk home, when a tow truck drove past. 20 seconds later, it had reversed back, and 3 lads were pulling the vehicle out of the ditch.

In Western Europe, they'd think they had you over a barrel, and could charge you what they liked. What did these guys want? A beer!

If this was a negative thread, well, I could balance this pleasant experience with a number of unpleasant ones, don't worry about that! Although the Poles have an undeniable, inbuilt sense of social responsibility, at the same time many possess an raw streak of extreme selfishness which personifies the whole paradox of Poland.

"10 years ago, I'd spun off the Lezajsk-Jaroslaw road in the ice. No breakdown or recovery cover, nothing. I had little hope, and was about to abandon the car and walk home, when a tow truck drove past. 20 seconds later, it had reversed back, and 3 lads were pulling the vehicle out of the ditch."

A similar incident happened when I was in Poland in 1989 for my grandmother's funeral. We were driving from the airport on the snow covered road when we saw someone broken down. My uncle and his friend immediately stopped the car to ask if they needed help. People still do things for each other like this. I hope that doesn't change.

I also love the warmth and friendliness of my Polish friends and people I meet both here and in Poland. Just the fact that they are such a sociable lot who know how to have a good time. People always have something interesting to say and their own view of the world. They are interested in others and curious about life in general.

- the forests, lakes and landscape
- lots of space
- friendly, helpful people
- nice food
- nice weather
- the patience and laid back attitude (although that can be quite annoying sometime as well)

The best thing I like about Poland is the party spirit of people. They do like a good party and it's great to see how much they like to dance. Young or old, everybody enjoys dancing. The same people in another country would actually feel quite embarrassed to step out on the dancefloor and dance to a silly golden oldie but not the Poles. They don't care, they just have fun.

Cheap and tasty Polish beer.
The green open spaces.
The family oriented, caring, women.

And the HOT WOMEN !!!!!

Polish women are no different to the women of any other nationality. Some are attractive, some are OK, and some are absolute dogs. To say different is nonsense.

On the whole, young women the world over look great. The real test comes when women of whatever nationality hit 45. This is where Polish women tend to fare worse.

A lot of men like Polish women very much Hans. Some men's eyes mist over at the very mention of Polish women. Hans you are included in that group I presume seeing as you married a Polka!

It must be based on more than looks because Hans has said there are indeed many attractive and beautiful women in every nationality. A lot of young Polish women (not all of course) have a very nice way about them and act in a feminine way which a lot of men like particularly in the Uk with its ladette culture. Even the less attractive ones tend to have a pleasant personality.

These men have then obviously led very sheltered lives .

As for me: one does not choose a wife according to looks.

The truth of it is Hans that men of many nationalities easily fall in love with Polish women and that includes you it seems

I've been in love many times in the past. Sometimes only for a couple of days . Marriage is more about timing than anything else.

"I've been in love many times in the past. Sometimes only for a couple of days"

Good one.

I will say that, in general, Polish girls tend to be hot. At the same rate, they let themselves go past 40 more so than others.

Hans how shocking! From the above anyone reading it would assume that not only is your wife unattractive but that you do not love her! Has wedded bliss ended so soon????

"At the same rate, they let themselves go past 40 more so than others. "

Jesus Christ, I seem to have a Polish American twin in MikeC !

100% agree. I've seen very few attractive 40+ Polish women.

Why is this, I wonder?

I've already warned my wife of the absolute need to not let things slip .

My wife is American, born in Austria. She is smokin hot :)

Hans, you have to make the work-out regimen mandatory

I don’t know what happens to Polish women past 40. Not all – but most just stop caring.

"I've already warned my wife of the absolute need to not let things slip"

Crikey hans what about men over 40 lol. No wonder women go for toy boys. At least (most!) women over 40 don't go bald and grow disgusting paunches and nose hair and ear hair and start farting accidentally.

'start farting accidentally'

What makes you think it is accidental

"What makes you think it is accidental"

It happens when nobody is pulling their finger

What do I like about Poland? (trying to move the conversation away from wizzboppers ...)

I like having a corn crake in the front field.

I've never heard it called that before, Claire!

Is it rhyming slang ...?

Krakow and everything around it. Myslenice, Zabierzow, Mogilany – the best places to live in Poland, in my opinion.

"Myslenice"

Well for the Polish speakers on the forum a song my mum used to sing (to the melody of "Plynie Wisla Plynie")

Piekna jest Warszawa,
Piekniejszy jest Krakow, piekniejszy jest Krakow,
Najpiekniesze w Swiecie
Myslenice Przecie!
Najpiekniesze w Swiecie
Myslenice Przecie!

>Is it rhyming slang ...?
onomatopoeic it might be ...
and i'm wondering about the spelling too ...

courtesy of The Big Friendy Giant ... and a husband who wanted it introduced into the household as The Word To Use when the kiddlies started needing one.

You're getting more mysterious with age!

and without even trying ... You can tell I used to write software design documents for a living :D

Have you ever read The Big Friendly Giant by Roald Dahl?

the word is in there.