Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UK passport = pricey

711 zl. for a renewal in Warsaw. It used to be GBP 18

Thanks to the new technology involved.
Thanks George and Tony - together you made the world a more dangerous and expensive place.

Re: UK passport = pricey

Bloomin' 'eck, that is pricey .

And here was I planning a trip to Warsaw just this very month.

Can the countersignatory be a Pole?

it's a bl88dy disgrace (says one who had to fork out for a new passport in January).
Anyone have any idea where the money goes? Seems a black hole to me.

Countersignatory Polish?

Hmmm - never risked it!
I started off using friends in England, now I use an (English) accountant or teacher friend here.

Just wait until they bring in the ID card.

Apparently, it won't be compulsory, but you will need it if you want to get a passport. Good logic there.

Initial estimate - GBP 90 for your first card, GBP 200 for replacements or change of information.

Yes, the countersignatory can be Polish, Si.

Krystyna did it for me and for my son on several occasions.

In other news, a certain native speaker teacher is marrying another in the near future...

Anyone we know?

[East End Gangster mode] "Not unless you're a Gorzów 'face' " [/East End Gangster mode]

Aha! I was only recently wondering where you'd disappeared!

Good news. After years in the wilderness, I now struggle to find a suitable British countersignatory. I'll get my Polish police man friend to sign. As he's now part of the new PIS installed anti-corruption squad, he should do nicely.

As for the other matter: do you mean the sadly deficient ex-toothpaste salesman and sticklike Daewoo Tico driver from Trzebiszewo?

How did you hear? Been to G recently?

What do you think of the new shopping centre complex springing up near my flat in Gorzów?

The very same. I also got the lowdown on who's pregnant and who's living in what country. Sometimes the same person fell into both categories. For example, the long-legged secretary (*swoons*) is now expecting her sugar-daddy's baby in Malta, or some such island retreat. The odd couple (old/young woman combo) are running a laundrette somewhere in the UK. Reason enough never to return to that green and increasingly unpleasant land.

I was in town for a few hours on Friday as my son's Playschool had a festival for Children's Day.

Didn't see the shopping centre, but I guess it should be opening soon. I hope the food there is better than it was when it was the old meat factory.

We've got a new shopping centre opening at the end of the year in the old wool mill in Zielona Góra. And they're expanding the Palmiarnia.

Exciting times!

Policeman friend?

Do you also have a builder friend, a Red Indian friend, a cowboy friend and so on?

Cyprus .

Policeman friend?

Do you also have a builder friend, a Red Indian friend, a cowboy friend and so on?

For example, the long-legged secretary (*swoons*) is now expecting her sugar-daddy's baby in Malta, or some such island retreat.

Oh, well. I guess she's of that age. The last time I heard of her she was working as a hostess or similar in Cyprus. Magda this was a private message!

The odd couple (old/young woman combo) are running a laundrette somewhere in the UK.

It fits. An odd couple, for sure.

We've got a new shopping centre opening at the end of the year in the old wool mill in Zielona Góra. And they're expanding the Palmiarnia.

I'm near ZG in a week or two and will have a look around.

Exciting times!

Indeed. Thanks for the updates .

I never see anyone around town from the old days.

Mark,

What are your views on the pay ZUS / no Polish pension debate?

I haven't heard about the Pension stuff - what's the score?

Dajwid states in another thread that any foreigner who pays ZUS in Poland will never get a Polish pension. Pensions in Poland are only for Polish.

Mark, I've sent you an email .

fwiw i got maternity pay ...

Thanks - I got it!

Yes, that was exactly what I was wondering. Thankfully, I've never had cause to make any sort of claim against ZUS-controlled funds, but, have now paid a huge amount of money into the kitty. It'd be a bugger, if indeed, as Dajwid says, all this money is lost .

Have you ever considered a move back to England? Even if only for a year or two to give your son some experience of life in England.

I think this would break European Union laws about mobility of workforce. Your payments would be safe from the time Poland joined the EU.

Was that to me Si?

I have thought about it, but work won't allow it now.

When he's a bit older, I'll send him to my family for the summer.

I was thinking of something like that with our kids, but perhaps adventure/activity holidays might be a better idea.
More likely in the short term is having nephews and nieces over from England to stay with us.

Yes, sorry, Mark, that was to you. The idea of a summer with family sounds a good one, as does the activity holiday suggestion. I guess it's all too easy for the offspring of people like us to lose real contact with all things UK ...

You're absolutely right. Max loves it when family come to visit. He especially likes acting as an interpreter in shops ;)

How old is Max now? Six, seven?

Planning any more?

The "English cousins" were surprised to find our kids could speak normally! Our kids were surprised at the funny Yorkshire accent!
And how could anyone just sit there in company with an MP3 on?? (An English teenager - you might have guessed)

Max is 7 1/2 and staring big boys school in September.

No others on the horizon yet.

[Forrest Gump mode]"And that's all I have to say about that" [/Forrest Gump mode]