Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Politics UK

My vote for the next British Prime Minister - Boris Johnson

http://www.geocities.com/borisjohnsonfanclub/

Opinions?

Re: Politics UK

Interesting.

As an American, I will be voting for Mitt Romney in the Republican primary

http://www.mittromney.com/

I would snog boris. He's a sexbomb.

geez...looks like whoever put that website together drank the Boris Kool-Aid.

Mike that picture on the front page of the website is him exercising his lips for a mammoth snogging session. It looks very inviting I must say!

Interesting that Johnson was actually born in the US.

"Boris Johnson was born in New York on 19th June 1964 to Stanley Patrick Johnson and Charlotte Johnson. He was educated at Eton College, and Balliol College, Oxford, studying BA literae humaniores. Showing early signs of political vocation, he was president of the student union. After working as a management consultant, he became a trainee reporter for The Times and the Wolverhampton Express and Star (87-88). He joined the Daily Telegraph in 1987, as leader and feature writer, and soon graduating to become EC correspondent (1989-94). Continuing with his rapid Telegraph success, be served as assistant editor (94-99) but soon went also to the Spectator as political columnist (94-95) and from 1994-95. He advanced to assistant editor and political columnist for the Telegraph, holding the position from 1995 to 1999, when he was appointed editor of the Spectator. In 2000 he became Member of Parliament for Henley-upon-Thames, displacing the outgoing Heseltine, and is a backbencher at that. In November 2003, he was appointed a Vice-Chairman of the Conservative Party, and in May 2004, he also was appointed as Shadow Minister for the Arts. He married Marina Wheeler in 1993, and has two sons and two daughters. "

The immigrant scoundrel! I sincerely hope that he has never claimed benefits!

Both of his parents were born in England .

But never trust a Tory even if you fancy him.

I think Gordon Brown will make a great Prime Minister, long term.

I don't think brown has enough of a personality cult Neil. Cameron is more mercurial. At the end of the day people are shallow and want charisma in a leader. Say what you like about blair (and I can think of a few things) but he has the qualities of a leader.

I'm not at all keen on Cameron. A leftie intellectually unsound liberal.

did he really tell people to "hug a hoodie"?

Yes he did .

That was an oversimplification by Labour of Cameron’s speech. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5166498.stm

In a way I agree with the hug a hoodie mentality. In no way do I want to hug any hoodies, but I do think that these kids are missing something at home. Probably/maybe a loving father figure. They don't need hugs, they need boundaries.

Boris is apparently a great guy. A secretary who used to work in my office was on very friendly terms with him - lived opposite him and was friends with his Polish au pair.
Wacky too - plays the upper-class twit to perfection, has been practicing all his life. But just how English do you think he is, when his family some time back had to flee Istanbul as they were strongly linked to the Sultan's regime in that Muslim-occupied Christian heartland?
Hmmm - anybody want to research whether he is actually, bizarrely, Turkish?

One of Boris Johnson's great-grandfathers was Turkish. This was a hundred years or so back. So any Turkish blood is now pretty diluted .

I can recommend his book Seventy Two Virgins, to anyone looking for a fun, lightweight read.

From an interview with a Turkish website:

Q. Tell me about your Turkish ancestors?
A. The family story is, my great grandfather was a Turkish man called Ali Kemal who was a proprietor and I think editor, or maybe just editor of a small magazine. He was a journalist, and a politician. I think the problem was that he was a bit of a Romantic as far I could make out. His position seems to have been interpreted as being anti-Atatürk, but I don’t think he was at all. At any rate, he got everything spectacularly wrong and he ended up being taken from a barber shop in Izmit and lynched. So, he’s a terrible warning to everybody. (Boris laughs)

Q. Do you identify yourself as Turkish?
A. Well, I’m very proud of my Turkish ancestry but I’m obviously much more English now than I am Turkish. It would be ludicrous for me to say that I was Turkish now. You know I love Turkey, and I love Turkish food, but frankly all I can say is “Çok Güzel!” (Boris laughs) It’s not very impressive and even my knowledge of my Turkish ancestry leaves much to be desired.