Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum

Welcome to the original English language Poland and Polish discussion group board. This message forum is a place where English-speaking Poles, foreigners (expats) living in Poland, and anyone with a genuine interest in Poland can discuss and read the views of others concerning Poland. Subjects include: Polish news and current affairs; Life in Poland; politics; genealogy research; Polish culture and history; advice and tips on visiting Poland; Polish property and investment issues. The aim of our group is to increase awareness of wonderful Poland using the English language and allow and foster the honest debate and exchange of opinions on anything vaguely related to Poland and Polish - positive, negative and/or neutral! To state the obvious: all opinions and views expressed on this site are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of anyone else! Messages consisting of ads will be deleted.

Links:  Poland Directory; Polish Language Forum; Factbook Poland; Photographs of Poland; Polish TranslationA Town in Poland; Map

Poland and Polish Discussion Group and Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have you read any good books recently?

I can recommend "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka.
Funny novel.

Re: Have you read any good books recently?

Yep, I also like that one.

Two recent reads, I've enjoyed:

Boris Johnson's Seventy Two Virgins
Robert Harris' Archangel

Now part way through the rather good classic:

Graham Greene's Travels with my Aunt.

I do almost everything in English now. Including bedtime reading. I'm currently reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. Something like Harry Potter, in that it appeals to people of all ages.

Kapuściński - "Podróże z Herodotem"
teraz poluję na samego Herodota

'Kapuściński - "Podróże z Herodotem""

What's this about?

Robert Harris - Fatherland - is an excellent thriller.

"I can recommend "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka.
Funny novel. "

I have seen people reading this and was curious about it. Will have to buy it and see for myself. I have about five books on the go that I am trying to read at some point. Have also ordered some new ones including Sun Tzu and the Missing piece meets the big O. Have just realised I can pre order the new Harry Potter on amazon

I have recently started The ragged trousered philanthropists by robert Tressell. I've also recently read "we need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver, a Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I quite enjoyed all of them but confederacy of dunces was a bit too cynical. I love reading all sorts of books. Used to love scifi and then went through a thrillers stage. Also love the brontes.

I must read more Polish books. Can anyone recommend something not too onerous? I like stuff like Iwaszkiewicz.

Jerzy Pilch - His current Woman. Available in English.

Thanks Neil, I can't find the Polish version on this list from an internet site (sorry in Polish) can anyone point me in the right direction for the Polish title? Although some of these sound quite intriguing. "irreperably lost left handedness" or "my first suicide" some others sound religious but then there is a book seemingly on the (creed / faith? of the) creator of erotic literature...?!:

Bezpowrotnie utracona leworęczność
• Inne rozkosze
• Miasto utrapienia
• Moje pierwsze samobójstwo
• Monolog z lisiej jamy
• Narty Ojca Świętego
• Opowieści wigilijne
• Pociąg do życia wiecznego
• Pod Mocnym Aniołem
• Pokaz prozy
• Rozpacz z powodu utraty furmanki
• Spis cudzołożnic
• Tezy o głupocie piciu i umieraniu
• Tysiąc spokojnych miast
• Upadek człowieka pod Dworcem Centralnym
• Wyznania twórcy pokątnej literatury erotycznej

Inne Rozkosze

Dzieki Magdalena

I'm trundling through The Lyre of Orpheus (Robertson Davies)

provided by the local library here in wrzeszcz

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - fantastic!
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse - the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
I've started reading trash American literature translated into Polish - easy to understand, expands my everyday Polish. (How sad)

Varsovian we have a book in common!

You could start a Polish forum book club and set us a book to read each month then discuss

Me discuss a book?
Nah!

I love reading books, but I only review them intuitively.

"You could start a Polish forum book club and set us a book to read each month then discuss "

Reviewing and discussing books or movies is very difficult, in my opinion. I finished Northern Lights last night.

Today I will start on the Jerzy Pilch book, Neil mentioned.

"Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - fantastic!
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse - the thinking man's Da Vinci Code"

Loved both those books. Just finished 'The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. Bought it by mistake (it was displayed next to 'The Rule of Four' - also described on the jacket as the thinking man's Da Vinci Code, but frankly not worth the bother). The book borrows heavily from Jane Eyre, but really very good.

Also just finished 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter' and wondered why I'd never read any Carson McCullers before. Wonderful book.

Jon - I just might try them out

My latest read - "Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling" by Ross King.

Title says it all really.

Very well written - engaging art history book which goes into all the intriguing in an entertaining way. My wife, a culture vulture, told me it didn't tell her anything new about Michelangelo that she didn't know already. Snooty.

It's tough living with a genius. Still, I do get my own back on occasion. We were on Crete a couple of years ago looking at icons in a gift shop when I saw a bust labelled in Greek cyrillic script as "Venizelos" - I told her he was a local nationalist hero and pro-British prime minister. The shop owner overhearing this was mightily impressed - a Greek-reading Englishman who knows Greek history !! - as was the know-it-all wife.

O-Level history background reading strikes again!

"I'm trundling through The Lyre of Orpheus (Robertson Davies)

provided by the local library here in wrzeszcz"

are books in English available in your local library?

>are books in English available in your local library?

This is the wojewod/spellinghorror/ level library.
My 'local' library is a room in Bojano (chwaszczyno - with a bigger room - couldn't let me join 'cos I'm registered in a different gmina )

most of them seem to be 'charitable contributions' from libraries in the US ...

I bought The Captive Mind by Czeslaw Milosz this morning. Anyone else read it? Opinions?

You got a big zilch on that one, Hans!

A good beach read is "Pompeii" by Robert Harris.
Also good to read it in the Polish translation - quite easy language to follow for people like me who are, shall we term it, linguistically-challenged.

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/minisites/pompeii/